Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

When kids break toys!

i have two dcb, ages 3.5 and 4.5, who can be a little rough...today after 3 reminders to cool it, they broke one of my ds toys...not an expensive toy, but one he really liked...how do others handle this? the boys did not get to watch a movie at nap time as a consequence, and we had a talk about respect for other peoples property...i plan to talk to the parents but honestly, the boys didnt really seem that affected and i doubt the dcp will be either. the person who suffers is my ds

Expansive...
    That's terrible, I feel for your DS. I think the best thing to do is to keep your sons toys, especially the ones he really likes out of your daycare area, and he can play with them at night and on weekends. Use this opportunity to explain to him that you are doing this to keep his toys safe.

I have it right in my contract :
    We agree to paying 100% of replacement cost for any damages that may occur do to intentionally damage of my property through destructive behaviour, roughness or due to a breach of one or more of my policies listed in this agreement or on the daycare website; XXXXXXXXXXX.weebly.c om. And the reimbursement will be paid within a reasonable time frame.
    I would also do time outs and lose of toys/movie etc.

If it was just an accident then no cost to the parents or punishment. Toys do break.

You told the kids to calm down they where being to rough, I would have the parents pay to replace it. I would also have the kids apologize to your son for breaking the toy.

Euphoric !
    From now on there are no reminders for roungh play with toys as everyone now knows the consequences so as soon as the play starts to escalate they are removed from that area to another one to start over.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    From now on there are no reminders for roungh play with toys as everyone now knows the consequences so as soon as the play starts to escalate they are removed from that area to another one to start over.
    i think this is what im going to have start doing....the oldest dcb is already on probation for being physical with another dck a couple weeks ago....my mil gave the toy to my ds this weekend and he had been playing with it in the playroom, but i had forgotten to put it back in his room on monday.

Euphoric !
    I think there was another thread that touched on this recently... As I mentioned there, I have a tough time with things getting broken or trashed. Even with my own kids and their belongings. BUT- it is part of having a home daycare. The sheer volume of children playing with things all the time means they wear out faster.
    Having said that; I have no tolerance for being reckless with any of our belongings, or my home. We don't jump on the furniture, smash the wall with toys or "crash" toys into each other with undue force. That is something I crack down on immediately.
    I don't know that you can really approach the parents for it. How easy is it for a kid to say "It was an accident! I didn't MEAN to!"? Very.
    I also get my kids to keep anything special in their rooms (no dck allowed). And I have to say, if they forget it in the playroom or living room, it's fair game.