Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Cloth diapers...

A lot of people seem to be using cloth diapers... I was wondering what other daycare providers' experiences have been with caring for children with cloth diapers. Are they a nuisance? Is it gross to deal with? I definitely prefer disposable, but I haven't had much contact with cloth diapers. I was just wondering if they're easy to deal with, or would you recommend sticking with caring for children in disposable diapers?

Euphoric !
    Really didn't have major issues when allowing kids to come in cloth diapers. Mostly it depends on how dedicated the parents are too. Be sure to insist on a wet bag for the used diapers - the diapear companies make them and they are basically a waterproof bag either drawstring or zippered pouch. I asked for a box of disposable bags and asked them to use disposable liners. If they did that I would remove the liner to a zip bag and toss in my garbage. No zip bags no removal. Then they were just folded and put into the wet bag to be taken home contents and all. I did not rinse or flush contents in any way. Insist the diapers be sent ready to use making them just as easy as disposable in the sense the parent has inserted the liners, etc. and if using adjustable ones have them snapped or tabbed where they want them to be for correct sizing. Never had an issue with leaking. One drawback was that kids prone to diaper rash are sort of stuck with it since you can't use diaper cream in the cloth diapers. Parents must wash them properly too or they will lose absorbancy - that is on another thread about cloth diapers somewhere on here but the soap residue must be rinsed out when laundering.

Always insist on having some disposables for back up. Use them on days child goes through all cloth sent or if they are having poop issues, or diaper rash and want to use them or if you are going out to playgroup etc you can use a disposable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have never had any issue with cloth diapers. I actually prefer them because I get to send the stinky ones home with parents at the end of the day instead of having huge bags of stinky diaper garbage. I don't dump or remove any contents, just put them in the wet bag as is and parents take care of it at home. You actually can use diaper creams with cloth diapers and I have had many kids in cloth who I put cream on supplied by parents (parents just have to know how to strip the diapers properly to remove the cream...but that is their problem, not the provider's). The only thing to be aware of is that they do need to be changed if they pee, so if you are out at a playgroup all morning and would normally leave the kids in disposables until you get home, you might not be able to do that for a cloth diaper child as they do feel the wet a lot more. Outings are the only time I find it slightly less convenient because you have to bring a bag to put it in and carry it with you versus throwing it in a garbage can. However, all in all, I think cloth diapers are great and I am happy to see people using them

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    One of my dc children uses cloth diapers, and I'm quite comfortable with them. I agree that it is nice not to have to throw away stinky diapers. I put the really poopy ones into a plastic bag before putting it in the wet bag. Works just fine.

I strongly discourage using cloth diapers based on my experience. Not every parent is fully knowledgeable on caring for them properly and the dck who was using them would leak everyday to the point that disposables were requested. If you are caring for more than 2-3 kids, I personally think it is a complete nuisance to have to pack them up for parents in wet bag, etc. also the absorbency is not the same as with disposables so you will find changing more often. I think they are just unsanitary in my opinion just based on the fact that you are packing up soiled diapers in wet bag and then parent has to open them up, discard poop, launder and reuse,,,yuck! Not my cup of tea. Also most parents who use cloth also use cloth wipes which you have to wet before each use, just too time consuming when you have a group of dck to look after. Again, this is just my personal experience so take as you please but unfortunately I didn't have a positive go with cloth diapers.

Hi Sunnydays! How do you manage to change 5 kids every time they pee? When I was doing cloth diapers I never had more than one child at a time with cloth diapers. I used to change them about every 2hrs (and parents were ok with it). My other kids are changed about every 3hrs unless there is poop. I did not like it too much either, because I guess parents did not know how to take care of them properly and they ended up leaking at some point. Maybe the provider have to do the homework of finding out how to take care of them to instruct parents before allowing those diapers...

I have a dcb who is in cloth diapers. I found them to really stink (even when just pee) and have asked if they could send disposal diapers instead. I was gagging every time I changed his bum and couldn't handle the smell anymore. I also found that in the last week the cloth diapers started to leak. They had no problem with doing disposal diapers while he is here (2 days a week).

Yes I agree with the smell! First I thought that perhaps this one dck just had really stinky diapers but soon realized that cloth diapers give off a strong ammonia smell and I couldn't handle the smell either. Just cleaning up leaks all the time is way too time consuming. There's just way too much going on and found it disrupted my schedule and created unnecessary work. I quickly asked for disposables. Dcm wasn't very happy but then again, she's not the one having to chase after 5 kids for 9 hrs per day. I figure if the parents really want them in cloth diapers then they can change them into cloth when they get home but while they are with me, disposables only. Every daycare centre I know off does not allow cloth due to the amount of extra work required and hygiene issues.

Euphoric !
    Personally, I love them. I have two families with their children in cloth diapers and it's wonderful. But I change the child, wipe them with the cloth provided by the parents, tuck the cloth into the diaper, poop and all and fold it up and put it in the bag provided to go home. You should have the diapers pre-snapped by the parent to fit the child perfectly to limit your diapering time by the way. My dcMoms make sure that prep work is done and it's a breeze for me and reduced the amount of garbage at the end of my day. Love it!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I personally use cloth diaper for my little boy and I am ALL over it.

if they have a strong ammonia smell, its because they are not being washed the proper way. Maybe they have soap residue in them or just need a goood strip down. I wash mine every 3 days and they never smell very strong. ( of course after 3 days they smell a little bit, but if you send them back everyday, it shoulnt be that strong of a smell! )