Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

I think I want to only fill full time spots! and no school agers!

Hi everyone

Right now i have a 6yr(in full time in school), 9yr old, 7 yr old and 2.5yr old and 12 month old. Im thinking on on taking 1-3 years of age. I dont want to deal with the brok up day where i have to run to schools and school buses plus i feel like they respect me and 10 times as loud. How do you tell parents kindly that im only looking for 1-3 years of age?

Euphoric !
    Wise move. I only take infants and toddlers. Once they hit school age, it's time to go. I have a few part time clients at the moment (still toddlers) but once they go, I'll be moving to only full time. I can't imagine what a pain in the arse it must be to do school runs!

Your day will run so much smoother without being a slave to the school bell. I see some providers in my area who do the school runs (as I sip my coffee watching my little ones play) and they look absolutely miserable no matter what the weather. As cfred said, wise move.

Euphoric !
    School age care can be hard to find in some areas so I would consider that in your timing since parents will feel they had the school year covered when they signed on with you. For sure it is ok to tell parents now that you will not be taking school age as of the end of June and encouraging them to check out summer camps etc. (which they will need to start doing now).

Many of us only do care for those not in school mostly because of the lost income from school age kids plus the transportation.

You tell your clients the news in exactly the same way that you told us here. You've decided to focus your program on children between the ages of one and three years of age. Point out that it allows you to run a better program for the little ones - it's always easier to stock the toybox with toys that interest everyone, as well as plan activities/crafts that everyone can participate in, when all of the children are at (roughly) the same developmental stage.

I also do not provide care for school aged children. I just can't make an economic "go" of it. My income is already capped by provincial regulations that dictate I can only care for 5 children. If the laws were changed allowing caregivers to care for a couple of before and after school kids in addition to their five full time charges, I think more caregivers would consider caring for school aged children. IMO I think a lot of us find it too difficult to take the financial hit that comes with having a school aged child occupy a space, but only generate 20 dollars a day in income. (as opposed to 40-50 dollars a day for a regular full time child) It's the same reasoning that prevents caregivers from taking on part time charges. While I do love children, this is my job - I do have to earn a living. If it isn't economically viable, then I can't do it.

Another thing to consider (that I've heard from numerous caregivers) is that school aged children are frequently more expensive to provide care for - despite the reduced rate they pay. They eat more, they require more craft materials to entertain them, and you wind up purchasing different toys/books that are better suited for their age group. Like I said, I just can't make the books work for this age group.

When you break the news to parents be sure to point out the benefits of your program to them. Your schedule/day is completely your own - free to customize any way that the little ones need you to. i.e. if you have a little one who needs two naps a day it's easy to arrange, if the children are late to go down for their naps - they can still get the sleep they need, you don't have to wake everyone up to run to a bus stop, or pick up the older children. It truly allows you to create a infant/toddler friendly environment instead of trying to work infants/toddlers needs around a school bus run.

I'm right there with you Mimi (substitute the coffee for a muffin though....LOL) I decided long ago that I would never do school runs - they are awful. My day is quite busy enough with five toddlers - I don't need to run for a bus on top of it all. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    Your day will run so much smoother without being a slave to the school bell. I see some providers in my area who do the school runs (as I sip my coffee watching my little ones play) and they look absolutely miserable no matter what the weather. As cfred said, wise move.

Outgoing
    Yup, another one who has no intention of doing school age... once they hit kindergarten, bye-bye!

Euphoric !
    Yeah, I learned very quickly school age is not for me. I am finishing my commitment to my current b&a child until the end of the school yr (1.5 mos down, 3 to go) then no more. I also found that some parents didn't want to sign with me because of the school run because they either think it's unsafe walking with the kids, the schedule is broken up or their infant can't have a morning nap unless it's in a stroller.

Outgoing
    I don't do school aged kids either. They require too much supervision.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    Hmmm, well all the children need supervision all the time but I agree that I don't like school aged children because they seem to get huge attitudes when they start school. Sad but true! However, when I have room I have my grandson with us on PD days and I don't let him get away with any attitude. It might be a different story with another child.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.