Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

When to look for daycare

I'll be going back to work in November and it seems like spots fill up for September because that's when kiddie's start school. Do spots open up at all times of the year...I'm worried I may not find someone as I didn't think I'd have to start looking for another couple months. Any advice out there...I'm in Hamilton.
    Thanks!

Euphoric !
    A lot of spaces open up in September because of school starting. As children move into full day school many caregivers choose to fill their space with a new infant that will need the full day daycare. But there are parents going on maternity leave all months and since most caregivers only have a 2-4 week notice needed it could be September before they will know they will have an opening for November. What you might want to do is look for someone with an opening coming up in Sept but willing to hold the space for a month and then start your child gradually part time building up to full time so you both get used to being apart before you have to do it for real. It isn't too early to make contact with caregivers advertising for fall openings and mentioning when you wanted to start care and you might be surprised. Parents do tend to look 3-4 months in advance as it can take several weeks to do all of the interviews for caregivers you find before you narrow it down to one.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I agree, daycare spaces can be available anytime of the year due to maternity leaves, moves, job changes etc,. Generally we have a rough idea 2 - 4 months in advanced when a family may be leaving childcare however it can sometimes be difficult becuase most of us only require 2 - 4 weeks notice and some families only give the minium notice needed.

I have been approached 6 months to a year in advance and that is very difficult for me to determine if a space will be available, 2 - 5 months is pretty much the average, however I do have some families who inquire only weeks before they need childcare.

My thoughts would be to start your research and inquiries now, maybe look at caregivers' websites, start a list of caregivers who may have space, start narrowing down which ones you feel might suit your needs, then possibly interview some. If you find do find a caregiver who you feel will be the best fit for your family and the space becomes available before you need it, you might need to consider a reservation fee to hold the space or keep searching for another daycare.

For me I am a planner, so I would prefer having daycare arrangements settled earlier than later. But both usually work out in the end I also love having knowing that my spaces are filled rather than waiting until just before they become available.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com