Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

How do you conduct your interviews

I have a spot open and will be doing some interviews and wonder if i should change how i conduct my interviews.
    I typically let parents start with their questions especially if they produce a "list" as soon as they walk in LOL. I find most things are covered after answering their questions. after people leave i sometimes find myself thinking, oh I should have said this and that. How to do you promote yourself? What paper work do you provide parents at an interview?
    Do you give a copy of your contract for them to refer to or do you just go over each point with them. I want to promote what i feel are qualities or benefits that i offer but hate feeling like i'm bragging or putting others down in the process.

I always send out a copy of my manual through email. If they have any questions after reading through, then they should email me with them. If they're still interested, I go ahead and book an interview.

Usually they have simple questions then when we meet in my home during daycare hours. I like to see the parent and child interact, as well as that child interacting with the children in my care. I will ask some other questions on a clip board that I have with extra notes. If I like them, then I show them my space.

Typically, this interview (if I like them) lasts an hour.

Euphoric !
    I was doing my interviews (if parents wanted them) during the day so they could see us in action. Now that I have a full house, I typically do them in the evenings or on weekends. I email my package out to them after the interview so it's waiting for them when they get home. Most of the people I've interviewed are first time parents and nervous so I try to anticipate their questions before they even ask. I've been told that it's helpful because it shows them that I'm seasoned, professional and puts them at ease. Interviews here are typically very casual. I offer coffee or tea and basically we sit down and chat, I'll play with the baby, answer questions and give them a bit of my own back story. I've heard many times that they appreciate knowing my history (professional and otherwise) as it's more personal and makes them comfortable. I've also found many parents looking for advice, which I offer freely. There are some parents who are so focused on their list of questions that they don't really allow the interview to flow and for a rapport to develop. I look for those parents who are looking at the artwork on the walls, actually reading my menu (which is one of the things that sets me apart) and I comment on how lovely it is to see that. Beyond that, I let the interview go on as long as is necessary to secure the client. I had 2 last weekend that both went on for almost 2 hours each. I got both clients, but had to turn one away. We talked about the daycare, our histories, travel, music, food....all kinds of stuff. It takes time, but for the most part, I find the process quite enjoyable and I've found that a less business-like approach to be quite successful in securing the kind of clients I want. Currently, I haven't got one single problem client.

Don't worry about sounding like you're bragging. Accentuate what sets you apart from the crowd. For me, it's my menu, my ECE training, my style and the personal/social aspect that sells my business. I host "Mother's Dinners" every few months to develop the relationships between the families and myself. I also do family picnics, etc to make it more of a 'family' atmosphere for my clients. Very friendly, very casual and fun and it keeps parents involved and knowing me on a personal level, thereby increasing their comfort level even more. For the clients I have and the 2 I just signed on, this was a key factor. Sell what makes you different as much as you can. Those who appreciate it will come on board and be dream clients.

Good luck!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I was doing my interviews (if parents wanted them) during the day so they could see us in action. Now that I have a full house, I typically do them in the evenings or on weekends. I email my package out to them after the interview so it's waiting for them when they get home. Most of the people I've interviewed are first time parents and nervous so I try to anticipate their questions before they even ask. I've been told that it's helpful because it shows them that I'm seasoned, professional and puts them at ease. Interviews here are typically very casual. I offer coffee or tea and basically we sit down and chat, I'll play with the baby, answer questions and give them a bit of my own back story. I've heard many times that they appreciate knowing my history (professional and otherwise) as it's more personal and makes them comfortable. I've also found many parents looking for advice, which I offer freely. There are some parents who are so focused on their list of questions that they don't really allow the interview to flow and for a rapport to develop. I look for those parents who are looking at the artwork on the walls, actually reading my menu (which is one of the things that sets me apart) and I comment on how lovely it is to see that. Beyond that, I let the interview go on as long as is necessary to secure the client. I had 2 last weekend that both went on for almost 2 hours each. I got both clients, but had to turn one away. We talked about the daycare, our histories, travel, music, food....all kinds of stuff. It takes time, but for the most part, I find the process quite enjoyable and I've found that a less business-like approach to be quite successful in securing the kind of clients I want. Currently, I haven't got one single problem client.

Don't worry about sounding like you're bragging. Accentuate what sets you apart from the crowd. For me, it's my menu, my ECE training, my style and the personal/social aspect that sells my business. I host "Mother's Dinners" every few months to develop the relationships between the families and myself. I also do family picnics, etc to make it more of a 'family' atmosphere for my clients. Very friendly, very casual and fun and it keeps parents involved and knowing me on a personal level, thereby increasing their comfort level even more. For the clients I have and the 2 I just signed on, this was a key factor. Sell what makes you different as much as you can. Those who appreciate it will come on board and be dream clients.

Good luck!!!
    sounds like how mine usually go with conversation about alot more than just daycare. thanks cfred

Euphoric !
    No problem

I find the casual approach just so pleasant. I actually enjoy my interviews most of the time, which is nice.

Euphoric !
    I make my interviews pretty casual as well, but I usually start by giving them a tour and talking about our days and different aspects of the care I provide as we walk around. Then they ask questions and it just flows from there like a natural conversation. I like to find out more about them in the course of the conversation as well as letting them know about me. I usually forget some things as well, but I always email out my contract after the interview and then it gives me a chance to tell them anything I forgot and then for them to ask anything they forgot to ask.

Starting to feel at home...
    I highly recommend a phone interview have all your questions ready.....you can hear there voice and there reaction to your questions, and if theres any problems re hours, schedule and more then you wont waste your time cleaning and getting all fired up for your in home interview just to find out that the hours arent right or they want someone with ECE ect.....I start with a tour of my ENTIRE home then we sit in the play area (I have age appropiate toys out and ready for the child before the interview) I go over my entire handbook explaining everything in detail after that I play with there child while they ask me questions.....also before they leave ask them what stage of there interviewing are they at (so you have an idea of what to expect), GOOD LUCK filling your last spot Hope this was some help

Euphoric !
    I start by giving them a tour of the main level and as we go I talk about things like the mainfloor play area for start and end of day or while I make lunch, they can see back yard from window (playroom is our diningroom) and then in kitchen I mention what I provide and what parents need to provide. I ask at this point where child is at feeding or where they expect them to be when they start care. Then I show them where I change diapers which is outside bathroom between kitchen and door to basement. Then we go down to the playroom for the actual interview.

But what I learned while talking to them on the tour gives me the info I need to get started and what info I want clarified or to point out as in this is what happens at MY house.

I do give them the papers to take home but do not go through them line by line. I encourage them to read them and email with questions. I highlight important non negotiable areas based on what I have learned.

I ask them about the kind of care they are looking for, usually get a sense of how many interviews they have done and how many more to do. This also lets me know what kind of parenting style they have as it is usually reflected in their desires.

I then let them ask any questions they have. I like to take control even though it is casual talk but it is me asking questions and making comments and controlling what we talk about next. Then they get their turn. This way I am not feeling like I am being interviewed even though I know I am but that I am in control in my house. If a parent won't let me do it my way huge red flag.

Euphoric !
    Playfelt - have you considered just emailing your info? I used to give them a package at each interview as well, but was going through reams of paper, envelope, and ink! Now I email it and tell them, when they say they want the spot, to bring a signed copy of the agreement and a deposit cheque with them, then photocopy the lot so we each have one. So far, it works wonderfully and I've not spent a penny on paper/ink/manilla envelopes that I didn't have to.

It's a small thing, but paper and ink are freakin' expensive!

Euphoric !
    I prescreen the parents either by phone or email and get all the basics out of the way. When the family arrives for an interview I want to have all of them here so I can observe the family dynamic. I guess I take charge right away and give them a tour and explain a lot about the way I have things organized and how I run our daily routines. Then I ask them lots of questions and encourage them to ask me questions. Usually, I've answered most of the questions already when I've talked about the daycare.

I want to remain professional but casual and friendly. It's important to me that the parents realize we will have a business relationship and I save my nurturing, fun side for the children but that we are a team in the job of raising the child. Trust begins forming at the interview and you either feel it or you don't I guess.

I also email all of my paperwork after the interview with my thank you note if I'm interested in the family and don't give out any paper and ink any more until we are signing on the dotted line.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.