Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Missing co-workers

Hi Forum! My name is Joanne and I have been doing home daycare for nearly two years and love it! I knew going into this that I would miss co-workers and the social benefits of work and that is just what I am doing! My own children are grown, so I don't have much in common with my daycare families and like to remain professional anyway. I'd like to touch base with other providers and share ideas and experiences. I live in Cambridge, Ontario and my daycare focuses on infants and toddlers only (you feel my need for adult conversation!). Joanne

Hello Joanne,

I too care for infants and toddlers, and get lonely sometimes, but my parents call and chat with my 'babies'! They love the little ones, and my toddler comes with me sometimes to visit my parents (kinda gives me a break too!).

Miss the time to have a break with co-workers in the centers, but working in centers made me stress too much, so in the long run, I'm better off caring for children in my own home. AND, I'm my own boss!

Question: I have a 13 month old who does not like to nap! HELP!!!

Totally know what you mean 'play and learn'! I started with 3 tots the same age and went crazy! All 12/13 months at the start, and this is the first time I'm doing daycare after working in offices all my life! I'm down to 2 now...it does get a little lonely with no other adults around but I try to make play dates with neighbors/kids.
    As for your 13 month old, is he/she still on 2 naps a day?

13 month old is somewhat still on two naps...I try to push it to the afternoon as he doesn't usually nap long. He finally fell asleep an hour ago (thank god!). I need my sanity and rest!

I have felt the same way about missing co-workers. What I did was hire an assistant for a couple of hours a day. Her and I don't gab. She really does attend to the children with me, but just having her there makes all the difference for me. For my sanity, the cost to pay her is worth it. Then if you need her to tag team with you for the one not sleeping...it's an option. (that doesn't work if it keeps other children up though )

Euphoric !
    Things like yahoo chat groups and forums such as this become a daycare providers sanity solution. It is so nice to find people that can totally understand what you are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by ceECE View Post
    I have felt the same way about missing co-workers. What I did was hire an assistant for a couple of hours a day. Her and I don't gab. She really does attend to the children with me, but just having her there makes all the difference for me. For my sanity, the cost to pay her is worth it. Then if you need her to tag team with you for the one not sleeping...it's an option. (that doesn't work if it keeps other children up though )
    I don't have enough children to hire an assistant - only will take 3 children max to keep ratios low. Luckily, hubby and I are not in it for the money. The one p/t and one f/t pay for our mortgage, and we're happy with that! I own a dance school too.

Outgoing
    I sometimes miss co-workers and the 'working world' but also wouldn't give up what I'm doing for anything. I am my own boss, as someone mentioned and the best part is I get to be home with my own kids. Yes, it's stressful somedays and I feel like I don't want to do it anymore, but I take a breather at night and have learned to outweigh the goods with the bads.

Starting to feel at home...
    I feel the same way as most of you. I miss lunch outs with co-workers and morning chats, however love my daycare, the kids and love to be the one raising my son (and I will be raising the baby on the way!). I find it more difficult in the winter as the possible interactions with others are limited, however, in the summer, outings to the park and being in contact with parents or other providers fullfills part of that need. I am so thankful for this forum though... it really feels like it created a new world of possibilities.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Naftafia For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I think the winter is the toughest- by far once the weather starts to get better I find it a lot easier.