Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crier

Starting to feel at home...

Red face Crier

Hello!

I look after a 4 year old(have for the past 3 years). Now baby sibling starts yesterday, just a half day. Baby is 11 months old. Parents tell me baby only crys when it needs something like food, diaper change, nap. Baby cried all dang day! I know it's a totally new situation for baby, but nothing I did helped. Screamed its little head off no matter what I did. Didnt even want to be held. This kid was obviously tired but refused to nap - sat in the playpen and screamed. The other kids are quite disturbed by this screaming. I've asked for baby to be brought for a few days in a row(either half days or even a few hours) to help adjust. Parents say no because its to expensive. So I will have this kid fulltime in a few weeks and need some advice and tips on how to make this easier for everyone.

Starting to feel at home...
    There also wasnt supposed to be a happy face in the title. Oops.

Euphoric !
    I charge $10/hour but only up to the full day rate so once they are here over 4 hours its a full day. If they think its expensive how are they going to manage full time ??? It will be easier if the child is there full days .... It is a new situation and it is confusing for them and some if them cry for a few weeks. I would suggest just put the child on the floor with some toys where the child can see you and leave him. Same with nap ... Put him in the play own and shut the door and walk away... Go back when naptime is over

apples and bananas
    I aggree with Crayola Kiddies... The child will adjust with time.

I transitioned my last 12 month old (a year ago now) in a few hours at a time a few days at a time. It was a 2 - 3 week transitioning process. She cried all day every day. She would sit at the front door and cry. She's eat ok, but nap was a disaster! As soon as she started full time she eased right in and she's been amazing every since.

This round of newbies I have coming in in the fall (siblings of the older ones ) I'm trying to reduce the transition time as much as possible. Sometimes the parents insist, but I'd just prefer to go cold turkey.

Euphoric !
    The child is going to cry for most of the day likely whether they start now or in a few weeks so I get where the parents are coming from in that why pay when they don't have to and really it isn't going to make a difference for you as you will still have to deal with a some or a lot of crying.

Euphoric !
    I feel for you! My last baby I started last October cried every day all day for about 3 weeks...but by the end of week 4 he finally stopped! I nearly terminated several times, btu hung in there and now I am glad I did. He is such a sweet, funny, smart little boy I don't think starting early will help...start him full-time when his mom goes back to work and just brace yourself. Don't plan anything for the other kids...maybe some movie days so you can spend time with new baby. I had a new almost 2 year old start today and I let the kids watch a 30 minute movie to give me more time to bond with her. I am not planning any structured activities for the rest of the week as I need to minimize times when I cannot be focusing on helping the new child adjust and the other kids adjust to having her there (there were a few tears on 3 year old dcg's part this morning too...she doesn't like change!)