Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music Program?

Expansive...

Music Program?

Hi Ladies,

I had a parent interview on Thurs and had a possible client ask me if I ran a music program? Yes I play music (lot's of music) and we dance and sing. She also asked if I serve a hot lunch everyday? What are people expecting from a daycare?

I am wondering if i'm doing enough, walks, playtime, storie time, craft time, workout corner, flash cards, dress up days, camp days, fort building, baking, educational videos while I prepare lunch?

What are you ladies doing?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Some caregivers have a person come in to do music with the children. For the price you are likely doing the equivalent in terms of singing, playing rhythm instruments. Since in Ontario we can no longer get together with other caregivers for this we no longer have the large group music programs possible 10 kids, 2 caregivers and a music teacher. Some take their kids to a music program such as kindermusic or music for young children. I figure that is the perogative of the parents just as I dont' take their kids for swimming lessons or karate lessons. But music is the newest demand from parents in response to studies that show that music can improve intelligence and academic performance - but as long as you are making it part of your lessons then you are doing enough but you might want to emphasize at an interview before being asked what you do for music. As for the hot lunch request this is an old concept and I am really dating myself here. The "hot lunch" was in response to the days of serving bolgna or peanut and jelly sandwiches and calling it lunch. A daycare centre at the time had a cook that made actual meals - hot lunches. Over time home daycare providers moved from babysitting and serving sandwiches to offering programming and with it more nutritious meals - usually hot as in a meat, vegetable, pasta etc. That doesn't mean you can't ever serve a "cold" bologna sandwich but it means there needs to be thought to the other food catagories along with it. What you are doing is just fine. Parents come with buzz words they have heard, read, etc. and we do our best to give them the answers they want to hear.

Euphoric !
    I find that because parents are paying us; they quite often have higher expectations as to what we should be doing with our time during the day. They want better food than they serve, more structured activities than they actually do with their kids, an educational program for 10 month olds, and so on, hahaha.
    I am completely honest with parents about what our daily routine consists of. At this point, I don't have a "program" to speak of with themes, etc. I would like to do more of it in future. We do crafts, listen to music and have dance parties, go outside to play, and of course have snacks, meals and naps. I have a lot of free play built in to the day right now, partly because of the age variance that I have right now. I think kids learn life skills and develop imagination, etc when I let them loose in the playroom with the toys and costumes. If we over-schedule the activities for our kids, they never learn how to just.... play!
    If you think she is worried, present her with what your day-to-day would look like, and with a basic meal plan. Even if you don't use one, jot one down so she has an idea.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    I find that because parents are paying us; they quite often have higher expectations as to what we should be doing with our time during the day. They want better food than they serve, more structured activities than they actually do with their kids, an educational program for 10 month olds, and so on, hahaha.
    I am completely honest with parents about what our daily routine consists of. At this point, I don't have a "program" to speak of with themes, etc. I would like to do more of it in future. We do crafts, listen to music and have dance parties, go outside to play, and of course have snacks, meals and naps. I have a lot of free play built in to the day right now, partly because of the age variance that I have right now. I think kids learn life skills and develop imagination, etc when I let them loose in the playroom with the toys and costumes. If we over-schedule the activities for our kids, they never learn how to just.... play!
    If you think she is worried, present her with what your day-to-day would look like, and with a basic meal plan. Even if you don't use one, jot one down so she has an idea.
    Personally I didn't get the most positve vibe from her so I'm sort of glad it hasn't worked out! I want parents like me!

Shy
    I have Kinder Musik teacher comes in once a week and the parent pay for the music classes.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by momofthree View Post
    I have Kinder Musik teacher comes in once a week and the parent pay for the music classes.
    Is this all year?

Euphoric !
    I guess as others have said, some providers take the kids to music programs; the parents probably interviewed someone else who does or have heard about it from someone else. As for the hot meals...I don't think this is unreasonable. I offer hot meals every day; I just cook extra dinner the night before and use it as lunch the next day (it is planned ahead and I provide a menu to parents).

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    I guess as others have said, some providers take the kids to music programs; the parents probably interviewed someone else who does or have heard about it from someone else. As for the hot meals...I don't think this is unreasonable. I offer hot meals every day; I just cook extra dinner the night before and use it as lunch the next day (it is planned ahead and I provide a menu to parents).
    Your lucky but I have extremley picky kids that won't touch anything mixed. My babies would eat it but not my 3 year olds!

Regardless what parent offers a hot lunch to there kids when there home? I still offer nutritionally balanced meals with no hydroginated oils, low sodium and mostly fresh vegetables and fruits!

I'm just getting really upset with the crazy expectations some parents have. I am truely blessed with some amazing kids but I need one more full time spot to be able to have a little extra. As one of my best kids just moved away! Right now I'm just getting my bills paid. It really sucks especially when i do all i can plus!

Sorry ladies need to vent!

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    Is this all year?
    Yes it is all year. The music teacher comes to my home once a week for 45 mins (9 to 9:45am) and she charges $45 per child for the month which the parents pay.

Euphoric !
    I know a caregiver that had a music teacher coming and for the first three months the provider paid for the program but asked that they parents pay from there on. All agreed but one parent so what to do. It isn't fair for the provider to pay for the child, the teacher can't afford to give the child the take homes consumables etc with no money, it isnt' fair to the child to exclude them from participating.

I get to cheat in this area because my own daughter is an accredited music therapist and she pops in a couple times a week between clients in the area and sings with the kids which they love. Doesn't cost me much either - grin grin. But I do feel guilty so for September have offered to pay her something. She can use the money as a new therapist just getting her clientele going and we will do it officially so there will be receipts for both of us to claim. A music program is costly and not something a caregiver can do on their own without the parents helping out. Again this is effected in Ontario because we used to combine daycares to have a larger group to spread the cost around more.