Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

2 y.o. cries more then ever !!!

Here another problem I have been having for the past 2 weeks, I have this other 2 y.o. who cries more then ever before, but at the table.. mostly in morning snack, during snack it starts and AS SOON AS I SAY WE GO OUTSIDE AFTER... its driving me insane because I dont know why on earth she cries. She's not hurt, she ate all her snack, and she cries like the end of the world is coming. Getting ready to go outside has been terrible lately with her as she cries all the time.

I spoke to her mom several times and she either doesnt know what to say.

I can try to talk to her calmly, ask her whats wrong, tell her to stop the crying for nothing, ''threat'' her she'll go napping if she doenst stop (she'll actually say yes to that)... anyways, nothing works !!

Ahhhhhh !!!

Euphoric !
    Well I would say that she knows that you go outside after am snack and for whatever reason she doesn't want to go outside !!

Euphoric !
    First I would stop reminding the group they are going outside after snack since it is a routine they all know it anyways. That means the child can eat her snack without worrying (crying) about the next event. Then just dress her first yourself so it is quick and before she can complain. Then get everyone else ready while she screams. Then just go outside. Ideally I don't take screaming kids outside as I feel it is not fair to the neighbours since I am zoned residential and not commercial meaning my neighbour could be home sleeping if they are on shift work or sick and that is not neighbourly of me to let a screaming kid disturb them.

Once outside what does she do as in does she enjoy playing once there or keep it up. Something as silly as her outside boots have gotten too small to play comfortably could be the problem too.

Outgoing
    does she cry while she's outside also? seems that going out is the trigger for her. its harrd when we have no idea why they cry. does she communicate well yet, i know some 2 y/o can speak quite well which would make it easier. i think maybe change up the routine to see what happens if you dont go out right after snack for a few days. you will soon know if the behavour at snack changes.

When she started freaking out is when the new baby started and took her spot in the stroller (because she use to be the ''baby'' of the group but not anymore). Mom did say she was tough around babies (jealous of course). But since she old enough to do little walks, and baby wasnt there one day, she had to walk and oh boy was she upset, the whole way she screamed. I had no stroller to put her in anyways so she just had to suck it up.

I think that is why she cries and I told mom when they walk to experience her being next to the stroller just to see her reaction or even no stroller at all. She will try.

I think she's just being difficult. When I say to kids after we'll go outside its because yeahhh its fun and its sunny and they are all excited and helps them finish their snack or they take too long. So today I was all like YEAHH ITS SUNNY WOW HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS OUTSIDE... and she cried a little, everyone else was clapping and laughing so she was all confused lolll

She didnt cry outside finally and was all happy following the other 2 y.o. I praised her good job and she was happy.

Hope for good weather tomorrow to see if it will continue being fun. She's been here for a year now, no sense acting that way !

Euphoric !
    Sounds like she likes to play outside just not go for a walk so I would just stay in the yard for the next little while till the phase passes but let mom know what the problem is and ask them to treat her like her age and not like a baby and then she will get to do what the other big kids do and not think of herself as a baby. They can take her for a walk around the block without a stroller.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Is this the only time she cries or do you find if you announce the next activity sporadically during the day that she cries? Some children are always worrying about what is happening next and asking questions and some need to concentrate on the moment and the task at hand and find it overwhelming to think about the next thing until it arrives, you know? I've had both types of children in care.

I have a 2 year old dcgirl who is a worrier and I've learned over the past few months that if I tell her we are going to a certain park all she talks about until we get there is that she doesn't like the train that goes by, so I don't tell her where we are going until we are almost there. We get to know our dckids personalities and how best to handle situations as time goes by.

With all the hats we wear, psychologist is definitely one of them!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Yes tell me about it !!

She has been here for a whole year and she is well aware of the schedule, haha I dont even need to say anything usually.

Its really just a phase she is going through I am sure. Although I dont agree with treating her differently then the others or changing the schedule for her and it will just answer to what SHE wants. No no she is being difficult. It just for our outings and all since the new baby started and took her place in the stroller hahaha.

We shall see next week