Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Insurance- the ongoing headache

So I heard back form my broker re: commercial insurance. He told me the bad news that no one will insure me without being licensed. He was confused himself as he said even a year a go they weren't this stringent. So back on my search. I am probably going to go with Wawnessa (higher rate but will allow me 5 kids plus my 2. Don't know if I want 7 kids though) or TD (will allow 6 kids total, also cheaper).

Euphoric !
    I am with Wawanesa and I had to switch from TD actually at a considerably higher rate The thing is, TD would insure me, BUT it wasn't the kind of insurance I needed. I asked what was covered and they said things like parents slipping and falling in the driveway, NOT one of the children getting injured while in my care. Be VERY careful to ask what exactly is covered before you decide which company to go with. I don't know if the agents (I called more than once to double-check) I spoke to from TD were wrong...I wouldn't want to find out the hard way!

Expansive...
    Just want to say thank you for posting about this. Sucks that you are having a hard time, but it's good to know what is going on out there with different insurance companies...scary, but good to know.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I am with Wawanesa and I had to switch from TD actually at a considerably higher rate The thing is, TD would insure me, BUT it wasn't the kind of insurance I needed. I asked what was covered and they said things like parents slipping and falling in the driveway, NOT one of the children getting injured while in my care. Be VERY careful to ask what exactly is covered before you decide which company to go with. I don't know if the agents (I called more than once to double-check) I spoke to from TD were wrong...I wouldn't want to find out the hard way!
    Exactly what I heard from a TD insurance agent.

They cover falls but no actual injury that stems from our work or could be considered that we were not doing our job to ensure the child was safe.
    Well...accidents happen so that sounds like right away they would say any injury with a lawsuit is our fault because we were not doing our job and not ensuring the child was safe.

The actual liability coverage was basically for parents and kids slipping on an icy walk by the sounds of what I heard

Euphoric !
    Exactly Spixie! Not the kind of coverage we need in our line of work!

Euphoric !
    Good to know. I had that impression as well which is why I was looking at commercial. Looks like subtle changes are being made to find avenues to shut us all down.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    Just want to say thank you for posting about this. Sucks that you are having a hard time, but it's good to know what is going on out there with different insurance companies...scary, but good to know.
    My advice would be to not look at switching carriers if you don't have to if you have coverage as you may not be able to get it.

Hi everyone, out of curiosity.. how much is your yearly insurance rate? I am just wondering what's the top max rate I should accept..

Expansive...
    I was paying $50 a year to cover 2 children, but now that I'm licensed my insurance costs about $200 a year to cover 6 children - plus the $100 a year for the Manitoba Child Care Association membership that I'm required to have in order to get the insurance. We had a real headache getting insurance before the license came through, it was really frustrating finding someone to cover us.

Euphoric !
    We used to have a group policy too through the CCPRN here in Ottawa and as long as you were a member you could be covered anywhere in Ontario so even when we moved I was able to still belong. Forget exactly why the policy was dropped but that was when we found out that some carriers were not covering 5 daycare children which is weird since that is the law in Ontario of what you can care for.