Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DCD reeking of cigarette smoke at pick up

Someone is going to get a "talking to" at pick up today. Several times DCD has come in to pick up his son and stinks of smoke. Like he just finished smoking 2 or 3 of them seconds before ringing my doorbell.

I have his son ready to go at pick up, but some days he comes early (without texting or calling me) so he gets his son dressed himself. This takes a good 5/10 min. He's so slow So my entire foyer smells like someone has been smoking in the house!

For obvious reasons, I cannot allow this. DCD has boundary issues. Hence the reason I get his son ready 5/10min before pick up time. I don't want this DCD in my house any longer than necessary.

Anyway else had to deal with a situation where parent stunk of smoke and reeked up their house? I just don't want the daycare parents to think it was me or DH that smoke in the house. We would never do that

That would make me crazy! Find any butts by your entrance? For sure, I would mention a sensitivity (allergy) to cigarette smoke...perhaps even post a sign?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    Uggh that is so gross. cigarette smell makes me naseous to the point that if I smell it on people at interview, i wont take them.
    Are you concerned that he was smoking on your property or is it just the fact that he smells? Easy enought to deal with if its that hes smoking on your property, simply say not to but not sure how you deal with the fact that he smells. No easy way to handle that because chances are he doesnt smell it himself. I'm surprised you dont smell it on the kid if dad smells that bad.

apples and bananas
    I have a little one that comes and her bag smells like smoke. Some days I have to light a candle in the front hall before pick up just to get the scent out of it.

I don't think you'll have to worry about your daycare parents thinking it's you or your husband. I'm sure they know you and that you don't smoke or wouldn't smoke around the kiddies.

I would use the allergy as an out as well. It's such a touchy subject. My ex comes to pick up my kids and often smells up my entire front enterance, but I can kick him out with out any hard feelings. lol

I never smell it on the child. Which leads me to believe he's a "closet smoker" or only smokes outdoors. But it clings to him. I never smelled it on him or his wife during our interview many moons ago. He better not be smoking on my property. Probably on his walk over here (he lives in the neighbourhood and they walk).

I guess I'll have to put on my "tactful" hat and ask him to refrain from stepping into the house if he just finished a cigarette as a few of us our sensitive to any cigarette smoke and it tends to linger.

I would tell him for health reasons (2nd hand smoke) and the fact that this is your place of business (can't smoke in front of businesses anymore) and this effects the integrity of your business and this is your home that he must be smoke free when he picks up his child. Period no negotiation.

Starting to feel at home...
    ALL of my Dads do it. I find it funny, because all or most of my daycare moms were adamant about the non-smoking aspect of my home when they interviewed. But yeah, it is a pet peeve of mine. I hate the smell. Not sure what I can do about it though as long as it is not on my property.

Euphoric !
    I have one dcMom who reeks when she picks up her son but only at the end of the day, not in the morning. Sometimes I smell it on one of the Dads too but not often. Thankfully, the parents only come into my entrance hallway and dress their children and go again so I give a shot of my Scentsy spray which works wonderfully when they leave. Cigarette smoke makes my throat snap shut and I hate the smell so I understand how annoying this can be for all of you.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

The odour of cigarette smoke is a health hazard according to Health Canada. Are these parents smoking in their car and then picking up their child?

Expansive...
    What do you mean about boundary issues? IMO it's none of our business to address his privacy in regards to smoking unless it directly is causing harm to your daycare/home. I hate the smell of poo and that directly can cause serious health issues if not disposed of properly but I can't stop that.

All kidding aside what a parent does in there own time is there business.