Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Sick child and DCM's response

So dcb has been sick since Monday. Runny nose, hacking, no appetite. Today he came and he's been dragging his poor little self trying to keep up with the group. He fell asleep at lunchtime in his chair. Constant hacking and runny nose. Eyes half closed and very lethargic. He had a 3 hr nap and then after snack fell asleep. ON THE FLOOR! I took his temp. he's got a low grade fever.

So I call dcm to tell her all of the above and her response....."Can I bring him tomorrow?"

Expansive...
    Yikes...sounds like he needs to be seen by a doc if you ask me...lethargic and falling asleep even AFTER nap time is not good...he could have an infection and need antibiotics.

Shy
    That mom is such an ass! Her little one needs a doctors appointment and a day or two snuggled in his own bed to get better! Ridiculous!

Starting to feel at home...
    That is sad....I have a dcmom who does the same....sick children need to be at home with their parents, not at daycare and is so sad when they just don't understand that....I've started pushing back when i get sick ones here, some of the parents don't like it, but at the end of the day, its the best interest of the child to be at home.

Euphoric !
    What is that Mom waiting for? The little guys eardrums to burst from the ear infections? I would put my foot down. Did they take him to the doctor yet?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Don't know if they took him to the doctor yet or will. If he comes back to sick to daycare tomorrow, I will refuse care. I get that some parents just cannot take off work at the drop of a hat, but seriously, this child has been sick for a few days..plenty of time to arrange back up care and a trip to the doctor.

Euphoric !
    In this day and age of walk in clinics open in the evenings there is no excuse for not getting it checked out other than parent can't be bothered wasting time on the child.

On a positive sick note the little guy I have in care that was hospitalized last Friday with a severe case of bronchiolitis might get home today.

This has been a bad year for colds with runny noses and coughing and such and the doctors are reluctant to give antibiotics because for the most part it is viral so a trip to the doctor often doesn't result in any help other than knowing what it is not.

Outgoing
    I totally agree with Playfelt. There is no excuse for not getting your child to a walk in clinic.
    That's awesome that he is getting out of the hospital. Poor thing.

Do you have a contract?
    If not... there's no time like the present!

If you do, here's a good thing to add to your sick policy:

Outline symptoms that would require the parent to come and pick up. Require in writing that it is the parent's responsibility to have alternate care for the days that their child is sick. Have a space allotted for that name and number.

Then if the parent can't miss work, you have another number to call. If the alternate care provider won't/can't, it's ultimately the parents responsibility!