Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Why oh why do people waste my time

I finally got an interview last night. cleaned my house, got paperwork ready, delayed dinner and grocery shopping to meet what seemed like a very nice couple who are unsatisfied with their current provider for the following reasons
    -2 providers with over 14 children in the home
    -everyone sleeps on the floor in the basement so when someone wakes up early they just start playing with toys and wake everyone so their daughter is not getting enought sleep
    -not providing healthy meals
    -too busy to assist in potty training
    -complete chaos when they drop off and pick up

We are having a nice interview and when going over my contract dad wants to negotiate on paying fees when he takes vaction. he has other children from a previous marriage and needs 3 weeks of during summer and doesnt want to pay full fee. i explain that i cannot replace the child during their absence and that is why fees are due. So here we are I'm annoyed that someone can be so unhappy and yet is worried about what would amount to $330.00. He offered to pay half fees. We continue with the interview and after they left i sent an email thanking them for coming and i get a response this morning that they FORGOT to mention that after May, they might only need part time. WTF how do you forget that little tidbit of infrmati. i specifically asked in email and on the phonne of they needed full time. grrrrr. i hate it when they waste my time.

Euphoric !
    There are so few taking part time people that I have had them do that - claim to need fulltime but then by the time we interview - things have changed. They must realize they are waving red flags all over the place starting with I take honest families only. IF they had said undecided I might still have interviewed them in the hopes it would be full time.

I do offer some time at half fees for summer vacation with the idea I like having less kids but it also recognizes that yes my expenses don't go away but I am also not spending money on their child for food and supplies so I save money too when they are gone. It works for both of us.

apples and bananas
    They didn't need full time. They wanted you to love them and make it work.

I allow for one part time space in my daycare, but that's because the thought of taking 5 full time kids 5 days a week does not appeal to me. LOL

When that part time space comes available i have my pick of the litter! I choose the best hours, the best client and the best kid!

I'm sorry your time was wasted like that. It sucks that you have to say to clients right from the phone interview, this is a full time space only you are not accespting part time at this time.

I only do full time. I state in my adds that the spot is full time. No part time spots available. After I did that no part time families have contact me at all. I am glad they do not even call, because sometimes I was very busy when they called and asked all those questions and at the end they were telling me it was part time!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I can top that, I had a lady come, very nice, her husband had told me one thing about what was needed, she told me another. Then after the interview and I am asking her when the little one can start coming to get used to everyone around my daycare, she was like, oh I forgot to mention, I am going away for 4 months so she won't be coming until the summer, which is when I am at my max. I was kind of stunned so didn't really say much. Now my situation has changed and I cannot take her as a parent is returning to work early from maternity leave. I let this family know so they can look for alternate care and the guy calls and was NOT happy. I explained that my situation has changed and the obligation I have to this current family (as I already have one of their children in my care) and he was not very nice on the phone. He was like, you said this, you said that. What I felt like saying is, you were not up front with me either . After all of this, I find out they have two other children that were not even mentioned at the interview. How do you handle things like this, I am feeling guilty that I cannot take this little one, but at the same time, could you imagine getting a little one to adjust in the middle of the summer when it's already a busy time. AND she has never napped without being rocked to sleep. Ughhhh, sometimes this job can be so frustrating

Euphoric !
    Omigosh, I would have stated emphatically that my business is run fairly and to the letter of the contract and nothing is negotiable if it's in the contract. I'm flexible in many ways but my contract, my rules, my business and that has to be clear. So sorry that you had to go through this but we certianly meet a lot of strange people in our line of business, don't we?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    Ladies I only have one full time child, 2 part time 4 days a week, 2 part time 3 days. I have one extra on Mondays until the summer. It's the sign of the times and if our economy continues this way most of us will need to adapt.

Just act smart all of my kids have set days and they must pay full fees for there set days regardless of attendance.

I don't do drop in care or 1/2 days and I have one before school and never overlap.
    Last edited by Skysue; 04-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Euphoric !
    If you can get set days from them then having a 2 day a week child and a 3 day a week child to fill one space actually works out to more income in the end because my rate for part time is at a premium so the two part timers pay more together than one full time would. After a few weeks you all settle into a routine and the planning gets easier. There is a lot of demand for part time and often I will leave one of my spaces to fill with two part timers unless a full time comes along first. It is nice to have the variety for everyone too.

The only word of caution is if one of the part timers is a mom on mat leave make sure the person filling the other days knows they are in care only till the other mom returns to work and needs teh full time space.