Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP with this issue!

So I'm having a bit of an issue.. I started my daycare without a contract( HUGE MISTAKE) and was desperate to stay home and make this all happen. In doing so I accepted some part time children who's parents agreed to pay me 3 full days regardless if their child is there or not.. Now I feel more of a drop on center because these parents will divide days up( sometimes 4 days for a few hours here and there) and others without scheduling will ask to drop their child off the next day for a few hours for whatever reason!!
    HOW DO I END THIS ?? I've developed a friendly relationship but feel taken advantage of and less like a daycare more like a drop on center!?

Outgoing
    Well, what I would do is make a contract up and a handbook of policies and issue them to all your clients. Have a sheet where they put down the days and hours they need, and have them stick to those days. If they don't want to sign a contract, then start looking for clients to replace them. You need to have your days organized or you are going to burn out from the stress. Get the parents to commit to the same 3 days a week if you can, and go from there. Also, do not allow them to run the show. Have a policy about needing 24 hour notice of any changes to care, as you need to be able to plan your meals/days etc.

Expansive...
    I would be honest and say look, I am new at this and I've realized that I really should have had a contract when you started with me. There are a few things that didn't turn out how I thought, such as parents wanting care with only 24 hour notice. As a result, I am now going to change my policy and moving forward will need one weeks notice if you require extra days of care other than those originally agreed upon, and i will only be able to accommodate these requests should i have a spot available that day...If they ask why you need more notice just say you can better plan your week that way.

Or you could change your tune a,together and say that you want to fill the gap and look for another family to fill the days when the other family is not there, therefore they have to commit for certain days and that's it, that's all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    You're not alone on this one. I started without a contract to. I think a good number of us have done it.

If I were in your position I would outline my expectations in a contract/policy's and let the clients know that due to your current business plan you need to address some things that you haven't been so firm on in the past.

You also need to be prepared to loose some of them. The reason these clients went with you is probably because you were one of the few that didn't have a contract and were/or seemed flexible to them.

I'd give them 30 days notice of the changes.

Shy
    The only reason I'm finding it hard to address is they have schedules 6 weeks in advance but their significant others don't. Moms are nurses, dads are retail. So I'm filling in when they are both working. I just need to bite the bullet and hope for the best when I hand out the contract. If they respect me and appreciate what I've done thus far, they'll be civil enough to discuss issues or sign without hesitation.
    But I only get my schedule Friday for the upcoming week, I feel I deserve more notice but am told they don't get it before Friday.

Shy
    I did start with a contract and parent handbook an STILL have parents pushing boundaries. It forced me to grow a backbone and not compromise because with all your give you rarely get the appreciation you deserve. If they have an issue with your new contract then they need to be sent packing!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I started in the business without a contract and was walked all over by my first clients. You are NOT alone! I got great advice from other HDCP's who cared about me and helped, made a contract, gave it to my clients with a letter explaining that I was implementing contracts to protect them and myself, so that we all knew the rules and what to expect from each other and it was all written down for quick reference. I made the contracts renewable once a year and I still do that.

None of my clients had any issue signing a contract and starting to follow rules because by that time I had some great families in care who respected me. Every year I improve my policies and wording, there's always something new to learn and if I'm increasing rates or making any kind of major change the parents know when it will take effect, on the renewal date. I haven't lost any clients because of my contract or changes. If you lose a client because of it, then you don't want them anyway!

I had a dcMom who worked at the hospital in my city but she gave me her schedule 6 weeks in advance. I don't see any excuse for your dcMom not to be able to provide you with a schedule, that's craziness.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    I've done shift work in the past, and there is no way that these parents don't know more than one weekend in advance what their week is going to look like. I agree with previous posters that you need to make up a contract, and I totally sympathize with you on finding it hard to present the daycare parents with that! I am just starting out and I'm already nervous about putting my foot down, afraid they will decide to go elsewhere. But you know what? You deserve better than this. And if you continue to put up with it, you are going to be miserable, and ultimately burn out. And it's not worth your health or your sanity.
    Let us know how things turn out!
    "The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice." - Peggy O'Mara

Euphoric !
    When I worked retail the schedule was posted on Thursday for the following week and that included not knowing till Thursday if you worked that weekend or not so it is entirely possible that they don't know.

What you could do is take the average of what they have been working and make that the contract in terms of fees that are required and then there would be adjustments for additional time but nothing off is the minimum time isn't used. At least you would have an income you could count on.

Shy
    Ok but she seems to think that bc in the past I've allowed random drop offs it should continue. But I tried explaining that without a scheduled day I cannot take the child since I've planned days without that kid( outings, meals ect) so she pays a weekly 3 day rate. Since I was only available 2 days( she scheduled) and wasn't available two others that weren't that I should compensate an extra day ( nonpayment) to make up for my "unavailabilty"? ? HELPPPPP me explain this more basic then I already have!!!!