Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trace of Angels

Texting Woes AHHHHHHHH

I have a new DCB and new mom (although she is not a new mom as she has two kids) her older one is in school and her younger one started with me a month ago. She was very nervous about leaving him and I always sensed that.
    Right since day one she started texting me to see how he was doing. So to make her feel better I responded and sent her a few pictures which she loved.
    However now the texting has turned into multiple texts a day.
    Today's texts

1. How was drop off?
    2. How is his morning so far?
    3. Did you go outside?
    4. Did you put on his splashpants or snowpants as I think it's too warm for snowpants.
    5. Is he wearing his rubber boots?
    6. What did he have for snack this morning?

At this point I just stopped answering. Otherwise I am sure it would be continuing

I am not sure what to say. My experience is mostly in centre care and we didn't have any conversation with any parents only the owners did.
    I don't mind the odd text every once in a while but isn't this a little much?

WWYD

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Euphoric !
    I would just let her know that you can give her an update during naps or if there is a problem however you need to be available to the children and to properly supervise them you cannot be answering as many texts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Trace of Angels
    Do you think I should have a conversation or put it in a text/facebook torontokids?
    It's usually Dad that picks up. So I don't often see her. WWYD?
    Thanks for the advice!

Outgoing
    I would let her know that while you understand that it is difficult being away from her child-you can not be updating her constantly-because you have to focus on...her child!

Do you do journals or info sheets? I have a communication journal for each child that gets sent home with them each day. Parents read and sign it before sending them back to me in the morning. Maybe offer to do that? (if it works for you).

You could just text back and say, "sorry, I just got your texts. I am unable to update often throughout the day as I am with the children, but I can send home a journal with the important info if you like".

Hope that helps!

Expansive...
    What if you just texted to one of her questions

Hey, is it ok if I get back to you at pick up time? Pretty busy today. See you then.

And just leave it at that. if she does it again tomorrow, you could say that although you understand that in the beginning most parents like to be able to communicate throughout the day, you now see no reason why you cant just discuss these things at pick up time. After all your days are busy and your main priority is taking care of the kids. Of course if there was something urgent you would let her know ASAP. Would that work?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you don't see her much and text is her preferred way to communicate then do that (I prefer in-person conversations but she might think it's a big deal then or get embarrassed). If she doesn't see you much, this could be where all the anxiety is coming from (doesn't know you well). I like funandcare's suggestion above.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Trace of Angels
    Thanks Everyone, you guys are amazing

Starting to feel at home...
    I created a private facebook group for the dayhome moms. During breaks and quiet/nap time. I load pics that I take from my phone and can add little captions. This has made the texting much less. And the parents feel more involved with the kids when they can see their pics during their break times.

Euphoric !
    This is also one of those cases where you need to remind the mom that as much as she misses her child that her boss deserves her undivided attention at her job just as you can't leave your job to chat on the phone or text because you are busy doing your job.

I would just ignore the texts as if you were not at your phone and then during naptime send her a text summerizing the morning without going into as much detail as she as has asked for and then ignore any additional texts from her. She should get the message that she needs to cut back.

Starting to feel at home...
    When my parents are texting me too much I just let them know we are busy with an activity and I will fill them in at pickup time.