Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    Hi,

I have 2x 3 year old's and mine do and don't! They both get to take turns picking the quiet time movie and they both know that they must lie down with a blanket and watch the movie quietly. At times they both nap and some days only one or neither. I have a great routine set up for them, they both get milk to drink and they must be quiet. Sometimes after an hour they end up in the play room and if they play quietly then i'm ok with it!

I usually sneek away and take a computer break for 1/2 hour or so but i'm always listening for them!

Do you let your 3 year old pick there own movie? This usually helps them settle better, on days where mine both are a bit resless they both get to pick!
    I do let them pick a movie and we have tons to choose from but unless it is a brand new one - they watch for 10 minutes then look at each other and say "let's play" and they'll play with the toys that are near the TV (blocks, Littlest Pet Shop and any Barbies or stuff they have dragged over from the playroom) and then when they play there are always disagreements or escalating noise. Then I ask if they want to colour but then there are issues about who has what marker first etc. There is always something.
    That is why when people call me now with anyone over 2 years old I feel a moment of panic and resistance to even giving the family a chance.
    Eeks lol

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I do let them pick a movie and we have tons to choose from but unless it is a brand new one - they watch for 10 minutes then look at each other and say "let's play" and they'll play with the toys that are near the TV (blocks, Littlest Pet Shop and any Barbies or stuff they have dragged over from the playroom) and then when they play there are always disagreements or escalating noise. Then I ask if they want to colour but then there are issues about who has what marker first etc. There is always something.
    That is why when people call me now with anyone over 2 years old I feel a moment of panic and resistance to even giving the family a chance.
    Eeks lol
    Have you thought about signing a few new videos out from the library weekly! At my library there free and some a $1.00 to sign out!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    Eeks lol
    You give them to many choices! When I had a child that may or may not sleep...they had no choice but to lay on the couch and watch the movie. I never give them opportunities to make noise. Quiet time is MY time and no one messes with my time...it's the only piece of the day I get.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I only accept older kids here(2 and up ) and I have only ONCE had nap time issues. Everyone including my own has a Quiet time. I can not make them sleep but they do need to lie there quietly until nap time is over. They usually end up falling asleep just like the others. Quite time is very important, their body needs it to develop and my sanity needs it too lol

Expansive...
    Great suggestions and good to hear how different everyone's experiences and nap times are.
    I am HOPING that the little 2 year olds I have now will keep ons leeping at nap time with me because they should be seeing it as their routine even if they turn 3 but it is hard when you get a 3 year old into daycare who tells you that they don't nap and aren't tired and you haven't set up that nap history with.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    You give them to many choices! When I had a child that may or may not sleep...they had no choice but to lay on the couch and watch the movie. I never give them opportunities to make noise. Quiet time is MY time and no one messes with my time...it's the only piece of the day I get.

You are my hero. lol

Shy
    I find what works really great for me at this moment is having a special sleeping bag for them, I get it out lay it on the floor and my dck is really excited about getting in her own special sleeping bag to watch one hour of tv, then they always fall asleep at 2-2:15, I find they just are not ready at 1 like the babies. If I would like her to nap that day I turn the tv off at 2 and say I would like you to try and sleep. They understand getting out of the bag is not allowed. This way I still have my 2 hrs, which like fruit loop I'm not giving up either! 3 year olds need even a half hour to an hour of nap because believe it or not this will help them go to sleep at night, their not wired from being so tired from the day. Mine sleeps on the family room floor where I am usually doing my housework so I can always see her. This works well for me and I ususally keep the tv on teletoon.
    You can buy great sleeping bags on sale Bob the builder, Dora, whatever, they love it and will not leave it if you make it clear this is lay down time.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a 3.5 yo dck who naps every day, I leave her for 2 hrs, if she wakes up before the 2 hrs she stays on the bed and just kinda quietly talks to her doll. I've never had an issue w/ her. I've found the same when looking after other 2-3 year olds. I'm kinda thinking if the child has been to another daycare before me, they have done the hard work of instilling the habbit!! LOL! On the otherhand, I have a 14 month old who does not nap for more than an hour and screams bloody murder when she wakes up... So I guess I'm getting mine, its my turn to do the hard work of instilling the habbit into this one! LOL!. Everyone else is 5 and older, when they are with me during the day, they go for quiet time, which is a movie or quiet play in our playroom, it took a bit to get through that they need to stay quiet and sometimes, esepcially with the boys, they get rambunctious. I told them if they dont settle down and play quietly, they will have to come and sit with me and watch me eat my lunch and then help me clean up the kitchen! LOL! they settle down right away!!!