Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Potty accidents & parents refuse to go back to pull ups

Help! Here's the story: I have a child that has been in my care for over 1 year. Potty training initially took 6 months to be accident free (not including nap time). He has gone another 6 months or so accident free. For the last 2 months he has regressed up to 3 accidents a week. The accidents happen during quiet time, outside, free play, (so pretty much whenever). The sanitation process is getting to be a bit much for me (I have 4 children full time). I have successfully potty trained upwards of 25 children including my own two. This one is giving me a run for my money! (He is 4 now btw. The parents are aware (the soiled clothes bag speaks for itself). I called them after hours today to discuss the possibility of going back to pull-ups for sanitary issues. The parents declined that option saying that it was a "step back". I understand where they are coming from but steam cleaning carpets & couches 2-3 times a week is getting to me. Any suggestions on how to deal with parent/child. Ps: I do not do rewards after potty training is completed. Help!

Euphoric !
    Get a plastic pant and put it over his underwear and that shoujd stop the leaks ..... If he's regressed there is something going on ..... Something in his life has changed ..... The addition of a new daycare child?the loss of a daycare child? Some change at home? Parents not getting along ? Did he get a new bed? Or change his room around ? New baby on the way? There's probably something he's stressed about .... Now to figure it out

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would have a talk with the boy and let him know that what he is doing is unacceptable. He is old enough to know that he needs to use the bathroom. Maybe start giving him consequences for his accidents. He misses out on doing fun activities because he needs to change himself after an accident, etc...

If that doesn't work, then I would just tell the parents, that you can not devote your time during the day to clean up his accidents. He knows what he is doing and you will no longer accept him into care without pullups on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

I agree with the ladies... I had one like that once, but I didnt need to ask for pull-ups the parents provided on their own so I dont know what I would of done if not. Probably say that it was a big no no to have so many accidents and he would have to where a pull-up until it gets back to normal. I mean its not like you ask to where a diaper. Ok pull-up are very similar to diapers to us, but to kids, it still look a little like undies... I wouldnt deal with the risk of accidents and parents not co-operating. The plastic pants is an idea but I wouldnt buy it for them, they would have to provide, but if they dont wash on time and bring back the next day etc... just going to be another stress. If they dont agree to plastic pants at all either, they would get me then really p*&%? off and it wouldnt be nice. There

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a guy that was 4 is now 5 and we have occasional accidents (one week everyday!!) Now everyone has to go to the bathroom before we go outside, after lunch, and part way through the morning if he is here all day. By stopping him and making him go this has stopped the accidents! Maybe try this method or set a timer for every 2 hours only for him so he has an audio reminder to go to the bathroom! Pull ups are not the answer they just encourage laziness when it comes to bathroom routines! Good Luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I definitely second making sure you are taking him before going outside, before quiet time etc. definitely really important at that age. I still make my 6 year old do that lol.

But as a mom who has been through this I can say it is hard. When my son started school he started having accidents there even though he had been potty trained for almost a year. It probably lasted like 6 months, and it was really hard. What helped is that the teacher started taking him to the washroom an extra time before quiet time. Accidents were like once every two weeks so we didn't go back to pull ups, plus my son was completely responsible for cleaning himself up as teachers don't do that.

But in your case, I would explain to the parents that you can no longer continue to clean up after him and something needs to change. Unless they want to pay to get your furniture and carpets cleaned. That's not fair to you. But I would try taking the boy more often first, that might help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Shy

Thank you

Thank you all for your ideas & pointers. I'm trying to figuring out why he has regressed(nothing has changed here) I do sympathize with the guy & hope he can get this under control. The patents were quick to blame me (even tho he has also been having accidents at home). Under regular potty training rules: when a child stays dry in pull ups for 2 weeks, then ill permit them to wear undies. If there is an accident, we go back to pull ups for another few weeks. Originally it took over 6 month to get potty trained because he knew that he could just pee in the pull up. He frequently arrives in the morning still in his over night pull-up that is loaded to the max. There are also behaviour issues that I have been struggling with for months(lying, whining, picking on others) Just feels that I don't have the parents support & it might be time to move-on. "The straw that broke the camels back"