Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bad experiences with day care providers

There are a lot of good providers there but there are some who do not care as much. I hope this section will allow parents to share their bad experiences.
    So any bad experiences?
    Let me start with mine.
    My previous provider was sweet as honey but did a crappy job. The baby came back hungry. When I dropped in, every single time the baby was crying and I have no clue what my provider did to calm her down. The worst is that my provider was a great advisor and you would think is highly knowledgeable and experienced. After a while I started learning that my provider was feeding me nonsense and was expecting too much from my lil one. All I know was that my lil' one did not want to do anything with my provider. Sometimes we go by instincts and intstincts can be wrong.

Like I said there are great providers but there are some really bad ones.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I wouldn't say that mine was a "bad " provider but she lacked experience.
    My son was 13 mths old when he started going to her place paert time and he cried alllll day. She seems overwhelmed , did nothing to reasure me acted like she did not know why he was acting this way etc. I took him out after about 3 weeks and changes my hours around so I could be home with him all day and work in the evening .
    Since then have become a daycare provider and met some amazing daycare providers who do an excellent job and love what they do!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    I wouldn't say that mine was a "bad " provider but she lacked experience.
    My son was 13 mths old when he started going to her place paert time and he cried alllll day. She seems overwhelmed , did nothing to reasure me acted like she did not know why he was acting this way etc. I took him out after about 3 weeks and changes my hours around so I could be home with him all day and work in the evening .
    Since then have become a daycare provider and met some amazing daycare providers who do an excellent job and love what they do!
    I just wanted to say that part time children take much longer than full time children to adjust to a daycare situation. I have looked after children in some capacity for more than 30 years and have had my home daycare for the last 18. In my experience it takes a part time child twice as long to settle. I would not say that the provider was "inexperienced", I would say that the child was not given enough time to adjust. JMO

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I agree that my son did not have enough time to adjust but I know she was inexperienced. She said so herself. She had just opened her daycare and had never cared for a baby besides her own. She was very pleasant and I'm sure she did the best she could.When I opened my own daycare a few years ago, I experienced a little of what she had to deal with . Part time kids do take longer for sure /
    Just wanted to add that she also chose not to give my son time do adapt. She admitted that had we not taken him out she would have asked us to do find him another place anyways.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Jodaycare ... i agree with you. It is my experience too that part time children require about 6 weeks to integrate into daycare.

PS ... I have also seen me frazzled at the end of the day if a child is having a difficult time integrating and crying On my part it doesn't mean lack of experience, it just means the child and I need additional time to bond and get to know each other.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tot-Time For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have come across similar experiences in running my own home daycare for the past 10 years. My experience tells me that every child will have a period of adjustment. Some settle in rather quickly, some, like an 18 month old I have now, can take much longer. This little one screamed for 2 months, with it gradually depleting over that period. It was rough, but that's the way it goes sometimes. One thing I do with every new child is to take pictures during the early days at times when the new child is actually enjoying something. This way, upon pick up, I can show mom that it wasn't all terrible and that her baby has enjoyed some experiences during the day. This certainly puts parents' minds at ease. I would highly recommend that parents ask for this when starting a new home care centre. Also, as a home care provider, it does look pretty good on you if you can actually SHOW that the child is being attended to and having some fun times in between the screaming and crying jags.

Euphoric !
    Every child reacts differently to care. Some children have not had enough experience being cared for by anyone but their parents. Children that have had evening babysitters or spent time in the church nursery with other children generally do much better coming into care. We usually say 3 weeks for full time and 6 weeks for part time to reach a point where the child has accepted the new routine. 13 months is rought too if the child has been used to being carried and held a lot, not feeding themselves their own bottle or finger foods etc. One of the things I impress upon parents when they come for an interview is that there are things they must do as parents to prepare their child for group care. It mostly involves teaching their child self-sufficency and while they may seem very young they can do a lot more for themselves without constant adult involvement than they are often given credit for. Part of the settling in may seem like ignoring the child but it is teaching them that the caregiver is there within view but that there is a difference between needs and wants. The sooner that hurdle is overcome the sooner everyone settles into a proper routine. I so liked it better when children came into care at 6 months because at that age they cared a lot less about who fed them or changed them or played with them. At a year they are in the midst of too much developmentally (walking, teething, self feeding) and then we ask them to take everything they have come to know as normal and turn it upside down. Of course they rebel. They are angry and they cry, scream, etc. and then they accept and they settle and life becomes good for everyone. Just too bad some kids need 3 months to do it.

When one of my little ones started (she would have been a year old at the time), she screamed (like shaking because she was crying so hard) when my husband came home from work for two months. He had to hide. Until I decided that he should just come in, do his thing without saying anything to her. It worked. Now at 22 months old, she asks for him all day! Absolutely loves him!

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I have come across similar experiences in running my own home daycare for the past 10 years. My experience tells me that every child will have a period of adjustment. Some settle in rather quickly, some, like an 18 month old I have now, can take much longer. This little one screamed for 2 months, with it gradually depleting over that period. It was rough, but that's the way it goes sometimes. One thing I do with every new child is to take pictures during the early days at times when the new child is actually enjoying something. This way, upon pick up, I can show mom that it wasn't all terrible and that her baby has enjoyed some experiences during the day. This certainly puts parents' minds at ease. I would highly recommend that parents ask for this when starting a new home care centre. Also, as a home care provider, it does look pretty good on you if you can actually SHOW that the child is being attended to and having some fun times in between the screaming and crying jags.
    Thank you for that little extra...it is to be appreciated

Shy
    Dear Play and Learn
    I think it is an adjustment for the provider and the child. I am glad that you were patient. That shows your interest.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Niveah For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast