Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Do you have a laminator?

I have been debating buying a laminator... Thanks again, Pinterest, for all the awesome ideas!!!
    But is it worth it?? Am I just as well off buying the self-sealing sheets? Or just taking the projects to Staples and getting them to do it?
    (I should probably add that I will not likely be buying the fancy $300 kind. Maybe the less fancy $100-150?)

Euphoric !
    I thought you could get one at Walmart for about $30-40 but I'm not positive, I just heard that. I don't have one.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I had one bought for me in my last job (small one from costco). It was great. The laminating pouches can be a bit pricey but definitely cheaper/more convenient then going to staples.

Outgoing
    I've had a laminator for years, and I LOVE it!

Euphoric !
    I have the 3M laminator from staples and love it. Yes it is pricey but what I like is that it is a cold roll laminator so you don't have to plug it in and can use as much or as little as you need. That makes it quick to laminate five little .... for a poem or to do a banner to decorate for the season. I figure it costs $1 a page to laminate but for me that is worth not having to take the stuff out to be done. I have both the small and the large and for sure recommend getting the large 12 inch one so you can do a sheet of construction paper in it whereas the small 9" one really only does a regular sheet of typing paper size. On the other hand for the small one I have I also get the roll that puts laminate on the front and adhesive on the back. That is great for feltboard sets because then you peel the backing off and stick it to the paper side of sandpaper #120, and cut out and that sticks really well to feltboard without pulling.

Micheals and other craft stores sell the xyron laminating machines. Not as good as the 3M I don't think but cheaper and you can also get magnetic to put on the back etc. Good enough job for use in daycare.

I have one. It came with my husband. lol Not sure what he ever used it for, but the price was right. Then again it might have been cheaper to get the laminator without the husband. lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    We just bought one! I LOVE it. We have 2 thicknesses of the plastic so i can make some things more sturdy.

Euphoric !
    I have heard of people that order their supplies through this company. I used them to order more zip bags for my felt business and they were very easy to deal with and the stuff came to my door the next day. www.uline.ca

Too bad you are so far away, here in Ottawa we have the laminator service at the Provider Resource (CCPRN) office where it cost us 1$ a foot (fits about 3 8x11) they have the big machine. Staples is like more then 1$ a page !! Some libraries also offer that service.

There are resource centres all over the place. I live in Niagara Region and I know of 4. 1 in Niagara, Hamilton, Milton and Oakville. Google resource centres in your area. Its so much cheaper than staples, plus they have so many other fantastic resources. I wouldnt want to buy a laminator as what happens if it breaks? Warranty is always limited and only for a certain amount of time and its just more money to purchase extended limited warranty. Also, the commercial grade laminators at resource centres are by far better than the much lower grade ones you can buy at Walmart. It depends on what you are laminating, what you will be using the end product for and how long you want it to last.