Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Delayed reaction??

Has anoyone ever had a new daycare child do really well for the first week or two and then suddenly start crying all day??? I have a new dcg who is turning two this month. Her first week and a half were great...by day three she was totally fine and playing with the others and following the routines...happy and really sweet...ate really well, napped well etc. Last Thursday she was a bit fussy in the afternoon and wouldn't eat her snack...then Friday she cried all morning and wouldn't eat a bite...I sent her home as I felt she must be sick. Mom said she came up with a fever and threw up once, but after that was fine. Today...crying all day again and she won't eat....but I know she is hungry as she has asked me for food and milk and even tried to swipe some from the counter when I was making lunch...she just won't sit in her booster seat to eat it. Last week she sat there with no issues at all. I don't know if she is sick, or this is some sort of delayed adjustment to being at daycare?! Any thoughts??

Was she taken to the doctor? She may not feeling well and because of that she does not want to eat. I have been sick for the last 3 days and even I feel hungry sometimes I really do not feel like eating (I even got a headache Yesterday until I eat!)... I had a 7 months old girl that did not cry the first days, but she cried for weeks after. She knew me before starting care because her mom and I are friends. Maybe she did not understand at the beginning that she would be away from mom and when she realize she got scare (I can only guess! who knows!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Okay, the mom is going to take her to the Dr tonight...hope to get some answers! I am glad she is being proactive about it...that is a good sign for me

Euphoric !
    I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like something might be lingering for her if this is out of character.

apples and bananas
    There is a bug going around that lasts a few weeks. My daughter threw up a week ago, has been fine all week with the occasional upset tummy then yesturday throwing up again. And today with a mild upset tummy. I've heard of a few people having something similar. It's like a mild flu that just won't go away.

Expansive...
    She could also be getting those 2 year molars, which is noooooooo fun!

Euphoric !
    It isn't actually uncommon for that to happen and age doesn't matter. The reality sets in and they start to rebel. It was fun at first but then the novelty wears off and it suddenly hits them that the new plan is here to stay and this will be what every day is like from now on. She could have just gotten herself worked up and the result was feeling warm and throwing up once.

At the same time if mom is thinking a trip to the doctor and isn't saying but the child was fine all weekend and it must be something at daycare - don't we all hate that excuse - then she must also feel that something just isn't right. My two sickies from last week are back but still coughing and wheezing but both with an ok from the doctor to return but told it could be several weeks before the coughing is done.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If nothing shows up at the drs thrn Sometimes its calked the daycare honeymoon and it seems to be over and reality sets in ... Won't last forever !! ; )

Starting to feel at home...
    This has happened to me dog was great for first week then all the sudden was crying all day and now she's fine just a late reaction once she realized that this was a real thing........but sounds like shes sick to me the not eating and such is a good sign somethings up.....lots of bugs right now we all have one over here LYSOL......hurry up summer

Euphoric !
    They didn't find anything at the doctor. I am beginning to think it is behavioural. She won't sit in her booster seat to eat, but will eat if I let her stand in the kitchen with me and feed her or give her water and milk. I gave in and let her do that yesterday as I was concerned that she was sick and she hadn't eaten or drunk anything all day. She is eating at home, though the mom also has a problem with getting her to sit in her seat (this is apparently new). I cannot allow her to eat and drink standing up or walking around etc. My thinking is that I should just stay firm as I do for all the other kids and put her in her seat and if she cries she cries. What would you ladies do? She was actually playing a bit today and walking beside the stroller when we went for a walk...she doesn't seem sick.