Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Scarlet Fever!!!

So just about an hour ago, one of my DCD calls me and says that his son won't be back till Thursday at the earliest, I said why? Apparently a rash started last night but he came to daycare today, neither parent said anything at drop off and other than his bum being a bit rashy looking, I didn't notice anything. So at pick up, Dad looks at boys upper chest/throat area and say oh the rash is still there. I was like what rash? Anyway I guess they took him a walk in and it is scarlett fever apparently. So now I have to disinfect the playroom. Thankfully, we were outside most of the day!

Starting to feel at home...
    Lots of nasty bugs and stuff going around we are also all sick here have to do the same here tomorrow.......come on summer!!!!

Euphoric !
    Scarlet fever is strep throat with a rash ....

Yes I was about to say the same thing as Crayola Kiddies...Scarlet Fever is actually a symptom of something else. Generally speaking it is strep or staf. My son gets scarlet fever every single time he has strep and he is 10 now. The rash isn't contagious...I would get back in touch with the parents asap and ask them what else the doctor said as there must be a cause for the rash and I'd want to make sure that he was being treated before the child were allowed to return to daycare.

Outgoing
    The funny thing is, he has no fever(he had one a week ago but it only lasted about 12 hours) ands from what I know about scarlett fever is the child gets a really high fever, has a sore throat(strep) and what they call a strawberry tongue. This little guy has no other symptoms but the rash. I advised Mom to get a second opinion because they went to a walk in clinic and from my experience they arent too reliable. My daughter had scarlett fever and she was really ill. this little guys is acting completely normal. Anyway, he is on penicillin so if it is scarlett fever, he will be fine. he won't be back at daycare until Thursday at the earliest.

Isn't Scarlet Fever a reportable infection? You might like to check out the guidelines for that. It's listed as a Group A Strep infection.

Outgoing
    From what I have read it isn't. Here is what the Health Canada website says:
    The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) does not monitor cases of scarlet fever because it is not an invasive infection. An invasive infection is one where bacteria infect a part of the body not normally infected by bacteria, such as the bloodstream, muscles, and joints.

PHAC recommends frequent use of personal hygiene measures to prevent the spread of infection, and advises seeking medical attention as needed.

I haven't checked the Ontario health website.

Euphoric !
    I't the strept bacteria and exactly as Crayola said, strept throat with a rash. The fever is the scary part and anyone who ever had strept throat knows that it feels like you are swallowing glass shards, it's really painful.

In other words, you don't want it! Jodaycare, it sounds like you have it all well in hand by disinfecting and enforcing your sick policy. I hope nobody else comes down with it.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.