Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DCK B-days

Euphoric !

DCK B-days

What do you guys do for b-days at your daycare?

Outgoing
    I dont do alot. usually make their favorite lunch and have a little treat for afternoon snack.

Euphoric !
    I used to buy a small gift for the kids on their B-Days, but now I just get the kids to make a big card with all of their handprints on it and we have cupcakes and sing happy birthday to the child. That's about it!

Expansive...
    Well....we always try to do a birthday craft.

I get a helium balloon for each child to take home on their birthday as well as a gift around $20.

Then we try to eat their favourite foods and we blow out the candle in a cupcake or muffin during morning snack and sing happy birthday.

Then the child gets to pick 3 books for story time and say what songs they want us to do for circle time.

Usually I will also hang streamers and a balloon or two or do balloon ping pong too.

Birthdays are a lot of work, time and extra expense and effort

Our birthday craft will be something like painting something special, making a necklace, painting our own birthday hats, decorating our own birthday crowns, decorating a large cupcake out of bristol board, or using birthday foam stickers to make a birthday picture.

Euphoric !
    I do very little because I don't want to detract from what the parents might be doing as a family since the birthdays while in care would be their first, second or third so very much the privilege of the family to see their expression to candles, balloons, party hats etc.

We usually make special cookies on the Friday closest to their birthday or on the monday following their birthday an always after they have had their party at home so if they are celebrating the weekend after the child's real birthday then we would do our cookies after that so we are really celebrating what happened on the weekend as in sharing it with daycare friends.

Euphoric !
    I agree, all these theme days are extra work/expense but it doesn't have to be if we get creative with what we already have on hand. I find it gets expensive when we make a special trip to Dollarama or wherever to buy things for the day.

Maybe we should all make a pact to keep costs down, get creative and come up with crafts/games that don't break the bank. I am going to do this. Was going to go shopping tonight for Paddy's day stuff but instead I will use things I already have on hand. Same for Easter.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I agree, all these theme days are extra work/expense but it doesn't have to be if we get creative with what we already have on hand. I find it gets expensive when we make a special trip to Dollarama or wherever to buy things for the day.

Maybe we should all make a pact to keep costs down, get creative and come up with crafts/games that don't break the bank. I am going to do this. Was going to go shopping tonight for Paddy's day stuff but instead I will use things I already have on hand. Same for Easter.
    Well I went to Dollarama last night for birthday cards, birthday balloon and birthday candles.....ended up walking out $27 later with other craft stuff. I am all for keeping costs down....but I don't have many ideas how to do that when it is a theme day.
    I have tons of paper and paint but then I see stuff on Pinterest or there is a special day and I go and need a thing or two and end up buying the store. lol

Euphoric !
    Mostly we need to stop and think who we are doing it for. Does the child actually care that their playtime was cut short so we could do a special craft - often they would have preferred to play. Do we do it so we look good in the eyes of the parents or because the parents expect it so they can look good in the eyes of their friends with cutsey stuff on the fridge and table. We give enough of ourselves to this business and sometimes I think we do need to stop and think about where our priorities are and what is really important. There are many years of school when they will have access to craft supplies and theme days. It isn't something we have to struggle to get through with a group of toddlers. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I think I do it all for the child. I feel bad for a child stuck at daycare when it is their special day.
    When I had my kids in daycare...I took them out for their birthday every year and took the day off so I could make the day special for them. I try to make them have a special day.

We usually make a craft or art time almost every day anyways so the only difference is that we are doing a birthday themed craft.

The only other difference is catering the menu around the birthday and what that particular child loves the most and letting them picks song/stories etc for the day.

You can see that each kid feels special for their birthday and can't wait for their turn but it is extra work for me and extra expense because I get a present etc too and sometimes I buy the cupcakes/muffins to put the candle in and sometimes the parent will ask what they shoudl bring.

I guess I do what I would want someone to do for my child.

Most parents are really appreciative of what I do.

apples and bananas
    I don't do much. The birthday child picks the books for the day and I make cupcakes in the afternoon for snack. I have a lot of little ones so I just make a plain vanilla cupcake and fill it with berries. It's almost like a fruit explosion muffin. Then I send the child home with a give. I try to keep it around the 15 dollar range and make it educational ... books, colouring etc.