Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Has anyone ever terminated a family because of tantrums? Help!

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Daycare123; 04-16-2013 at 04:02 PM.

You have to be happy with what you're doing. If there's a child you don't particularly LOVE, then I would equate that with like having a coworker that you have to put up with as opposed to one that you work well with, but if this child is disrupting everyone, and is making you dread your days, it's likely time to evaluate the situation more deeply.

I recently had to make the very difficult decison to terminate, and I have to say that even though I really do miss the little guy, our daycare is one hundred times happier and stress free with my new family here.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Daycare123; 04-16-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Euphoric !
    I'm with Alpha! I terminated at the same time as her for similar reasons to what you described. I was a stress ball every day...dreaded teh bell ringing in the morning when I knew it was this child's time to arrive...literally felt my blood pressure rise as they entered the house. I terminated after 6 months of trying everything I could possibly think of and trying to work with the parents. Now my daycare is peaceful (well...was until my new dcg started throwing some curves at me last week...but that's another story...LOL.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

sunny, not to threadjack,but you're doing a lot better too? I have gone back to LOVING my job instead of waking up with my stomach in knots. I would seriously cry when I knew the family was coming.

So happy you're doing so well!

Daycare123, it sounds like you have to give this some more thought. If you're still enjoying him and are willing to work through it, termination might not be the right choice for you -yet. I urge you though to try and make the decision to terminate BEFORE you get to the point that sunny and I got to, because it was affecting my family by that point. No good.

Outgoing
    Thanks Everyone!
    Last edited by Daycare123; 04-16-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Daycare123 I will pm you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If the child was fine in the recent past and this is something new no matter how annoying it is then you could take the risk that it is just a phase that is very common to toddlers who suddenlly realize they have choices and wait it out. Personally I don't bother with time out for a tantrum because it just makes it worse. I tell them to knock it off in toddler terms of course and/or put them into bed - if they are going to scream they can do it from another room where the sound won't damage our ears. Often the child is overtired and the break/rest does them a world of good.

Having said that it doesn't work with all kids and how long the issue has been going on may mean a different course of action. If the child is being disruptive to the day such that no one can enjoy it then you have an obligation to the other families to terminate the "problem" child. When you look at it in those terms it isn't you giving up it is about the well being of the other children in care. As a side benefit to the other children being happier - you will be happier and more relaxed too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes Alpha! I cuold not believe how calm, quiet and peaceful my days were once that one child was gone! My new dcg ended up starting early (was originally going to start in June) and first week with her was great. Now I am having some problems and not so sure. One thing I know is that this time I will NOT wait for six months to terminate. I was exactly like you...it was to the point of effecting my health and my family. I have vowed to myself that I will never let it get to that point again!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    sunny, not to threadjack,but you're doing a lot better too? I have gone back to LOVING my job instead of waking up with my stomach in knots. I would seriously cry when I knew the family was coming.

So happy you're doing so well!

Daycare123, it sounds like you have to give this some more thought. If you're still enjoying him and are willing to work through it, termination might not be the right choice for you -yet. I urge you though to try and make the decision to terminate BEFORE you get to the point that sunny and I got to, because it was affecting my family by that point. No good.

Outgoing
    Thanks Everyone!
    Last edited by Daycare123; 04-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.