Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Backyard...or mud yard?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what everyone's backyards are looking like...we moved in last summer, I have 2 kids and a dog and by the end of the summer there was hardly any grass left in some areas, so it got pretty muddy. Now with the snow melted, add my kids AND 3 daycare kids I don't know what I am going to do this year. Kids playing outside=no grass= MUD! Am the only one with this problem? I'm not sure if I should try seeding it, or maybe getting some of that fake grass stuff that is basically a green carpet and putting it in the worst areas...

What do you all do?

Thanks

Euphoric !
    We have been struggling every year to get a green lawn. 2 kids and a dog (she's the real problem). I think we might try to train our dog to pee in one spot off the main lawn and see if that helps. Laying new sod this yr.

try asking your hubby to start seeding it as soon as possible. My husband is contiously seeding the bare spots all through the season. We are actually getting a load of good soil delivered and spreading it over the worn areas and then seeding in a couple of weeks. It always does the trick. Of course we don't have a dog issue either.

Euphoric !
    Yep...in the same boat! We are laying new sod this year, but I am worried that the kids will just destroy it again I haven't even been able to take the kids out in the backyard yet since the snow melted because it is soooooooo muddy...I have a little dip at the far side and it's like a ditch full of muddy water. I just can't face taking them out in that!

Euphoric !
    Haven't been out to the yard yet either - way too spongy and soggy still for toddlers. Our plan is to put in a large deck at the side of the house where we could play in weather like this or clear off in winter and play without getting lost in the snow.

One thing I do for outside play is that we do it at the end of the day from after nap till hometime. That way any mud or snow goes home. I ask for waterproof spalshpants and boots and if you don't bring them not my problem. But it means all the mud and sand goes home and not back into my house.

Outgoing
    I solved that problem by removing ALL of my grass, I have a lovely composite deck for riding toys and I have rubber cow mats under my playground equipment. I love it!!!!

Euphoric !
    I may have to think about the deck idea too We have a corner lot, like you, but can't put a fence around the front and side as a huge portion of it belongs to the city...otherwise I would much prefer to play there as it is less soggy and easy for pick-up time. Not sure if we could have a deck on the side and front...might be a bylaw of some sort against that.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Haven't been out to the yard yet either - way too spongy and soggy still for toddlers. Our plan is to put in a large deck at the side of the house where we could play in weather like this or clear off in winter and play without getting lost in the snow.

One thing I do for outside play is that we do it at the end of the day from after nap till hometime. That way any mud or snow goes home. I ask for waterproof spalshpants and boots and if you don't bring them not my problem. But it means all the mud and sand goes home and not back into my house.

Expansive...
    So what is everyone doing for outdoor play so far then? I am getting tired of pushing a stroller and pulling a wagon at the same time when we go for walks, walks seem like the only other alternative....

We go to the playground. This is our first spring in our new home, and we've just discovered that our back yard is a complete swamp with the grade of our lot. We moved in last June, and by that time, we had a lush, dry, green back yard. Sooo...until it dries up, we will be at the park.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    We go to the playground. This is our first spring in our new home, and we've just discovered that our back yard is a complete swamp with the grade of our lot. We moved in last June, and by that time, we had a lush, dry, green back yard. Sooo...until it dries up, we will be at the park.

Me too Alpha! We moved in August and this is our first spring here...exactly as you described, the grade of the yard makes it a swamp at one side. We go for walks and also go to the park...kids are soooo excited to go to the park as the snow has only been gone from there for about a week