Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Growing seeds in cups?/nature crafts

Forgive my lack of knowledge...I would love for my toddler group to plant a seed in a cup and be able to water it and watch it grow...but what seeds work best? Is this something that would even survive in just a cup?! haha sorry I am such a "wanna be gardener" but I really have no clue! Could they plant it outside after it is big enough?!
    I was also thinking of doing grass head pals, could I do this in a cup or would I have to do the whole stocking thing?!

Thanks Ladies!!

Also looking for some nature crafts! So far we have gone for a walk and collected rocks, painted them and put googly eyes on them...same with pinecones! Any other ideas for using nature as the main supply?

Euphoric !
    Grass seed works good in a cup - even a styrofoam cup and let them use markers or crayons to draw a face on the cup. Then when the grass grows it looks like hair that they can actually trim with scissors.

For seeds - yes they will grow in a cup. Just remember if there is no drainage hole to put a few stones in the bottom and not to overwater as in let the soil dry out a bit before adding more water.

A lot will plant pumpkin seeds saved from halloween jackolanterns and then send the plants home with the kids once they have sprouted.

Planting flower seeds or a bulb such as a tulip or daffodil makes a nice mother's day gift too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You can also do a seed (beans work well) loosely wrapped in a wet paper towel and placed in a ziplock sandwich bag. Tape to the window and they can watch the whole root system develop

See link
    http://ourcommunityourkids.org/media...lant_Dec09.pdf

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks soooo much girls!