Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Same as above - if a kid in my care needs the hospital, I call an ambulance. Was the mom really expecting you to take your entire daycare into the ER?

Shy
    Hi all

I also have it in my handbook that 911 would be called. How are you to look after the other children and tend to the injured child at the hospital? That parent is clearly not thinking. How would she feel if it was another child who had to go to the hospital and her child got dragged and not the attention they need? Oh I also have in my handbook that parents pay the additional medical costs. That way you don't get stuck paying the bill.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vtorrance For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    YES her words exactly were "I don't feel comfortable that if there was an emergency you wouldn't be able to fit all the kids in your car" I said If she need immediate care I would call 911 she then said "Then she would be transported to the hospital alone and I really don't like that" and I said that in the case of an emergency i'm sure here being alone in an ambulance would be the least of your worries.

Euphoric !
    This mom has unrealistic expectations of daycare. She should hire a nanny if she wants one-on-one care with a person who could drive her child to the hospital in case of emergency. Does she have any idea how long it takes to load 5-7 small children into a van??? I do as I have a van and used it up until recently and I can honestly say, there is NO WAY I would be able to load everyone in and take a child to the hospital, where I would have to load everyone out and somehow transport them all safely into the ER while probably carrying the injured child who would be crying and screaming about the injury and probably clinging to me...then sit for the hours of waiting with all those small children while trying to keep the injured child calm and attended to. Are you kidding me?! This is not in any child's best interest. Either the parent comes to get the child or if it is a major emergency, the ambulance comes and takes her to the hospital where the parent meets the child.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think it helps when you are explaining this to parents at the interview that you would do the same for your own child(ren) as you couldn't leave her daughter etc to tend to your child. Also letting them know that this is standard practice with all home daycare's including most centres as they have to keep their ratios. I think that in a centre if a director/supervisor is available to go then they could free up the staff to go with the child but this isn't always the case with absences/vacations etc.

Outgoing
    in case of an emergency you need to call an ambulance. You don't have time to pack everyone up and drive to a hospital. common sense prevails in this case, I know that dcm is unrealistic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Parents are called to pick up unless a real emergency then an ambulance is called and parents would meet ambulance at the hospital .... No way would I pack up all the kids and put them in my van .... I don't have enough car seats any way ... So mute point !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well mommylove, that is craziness. The best place to pick up a million germs for your daycare group would be in an emergency room. Do you think the dcMom would have a problem paying for an ambulance bill? Do you think she's making up an excuse and not telling the truth about the real reason she wants to leave? Why can't these kind of parents tell the truth instead of leaving us scratching our heads over some ridiculousness?

I carry emergency forms with us everywhere and they are meant to be handed to a paramedic if I ever have to send a child to a hospital in an ambulance. They would then have the parent's written consent to start saving their child's life. Isn't that what every parent wants, to make sure their child is receiving top-notch care and to know that the caregiver has thought out carefully all the scenarios? Isn't that why we keep our CPR/first aid up to date?

I'm flabbergasted! How do you perform CPR while driving or keep pressure on a wound? Ok, I give up on this question!!!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.