Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Facebook and Parents

Would you be facebook friends with your clients? Why or why not?

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Nooooooooooooooo way
    I am not `friends`with the daycare parents, nor do I wish to be.
    I make a big point of keeping the relationship professional and of keeping my private life private.
    I would not be facebook friends with clients just as my family Doctor etc would not be with his clients.
    How I behave during daycare hours and after daycare hours are two very different things lol
    Now that being said , I don't have anything to hide BUT I need to keep my home and social life separate from my daycare life !
    I can not control what my facebook friends say or post and it could be awkward to have daycare parents see that stuff

I do however have a facebook page just for my daycare families where I post all the daycare pics.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    Nooooooooooooooo way
    I am not `friends`with the daycare parents, nor do I wish to be.
    I make a big point of keeping the relationship professional and of keeping my private life private.
    I would not be facebook friends with clients just as my family Doctor etc would not be with his clients.
    How I behave during daycare hours and after daycare hours are two very different things lol
    Now that being said , I don't have anything to hide BUT I need to keep my home and social life separate from my daycare life !
    I can not control what my facebook friends say or post and it could be awkward to have daycare parents see that stuff

I do however have a facebook page just for my daycare families where I post all the daycare pics.
    Exactly this!
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I am with a couple of them! But I totally get why someone wouldn't want that. Sometimes you need to keep that division between personal and professional.
    My personal life is fairly tame, lol, and somewhat boring. So I am not worried about them seeing anything untoward. And if they did, I should hope that they understand that I am a real person, not a childcare robot!! Sometimes I go out with the girls, have a few drinks and a good time. There will not be any naked pics of me, or anything else I wouldn't want them to see. Just as I will not judge what I may see on their profile, I should hope the same.
    And on the other hand, being friends with them has given me a little insight into their lives too. I don't think being facebook friends means we are "friends"-friends. It has proven a good way for me to communicate with some people, as well.

Euphoric !
    I probably wouldn't as I agree with what some of the others have said about keeping the relationship professional...frien dly, yes, friends, probably not. It is too hard to deel with issues when the arise if the client has become a friend. I barely use my facebook account and don't post pictures or many statuses, but I still wouldn't add them as friends...it just blurs the boundaries too much.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    I am with a couple of them! But I totally get why someone wouldn't want that. Sometimes you need to keep that division between personal and professional.
    My personal life is fairly tame, lol, and somewhat boring. So I am not worried about them seeing anything untoward. And if they did, I should hope that they understand that I am a real person, not a childcare robot!! Sometimes I go out with the girls, have a few drinks and a good time. There will not be any naked pics of me, or anything else I wouldn't want them to see. Just as I will not judge what I may see on their profile, I should hope the same.
    And on the other hand, being friends with them has given me a little insight into their lives too. I don't think being facebook friends means we are "friends"-friends. It has proven a good way for me to communicate with some people, as well.
    The problem with me is I am judgmental, I admit it lol..and I know that most people are. For examplem say I did go for drinks with the girls and parents saw the pics... then say Monday I have a rough time with their child and I inform them of this. I could totally see them saying"oh, she had a big weekend, now she`s tired and taking it out on x".. kwim ?
    I don`t want to know ANYTHING personal about them so I can continue to view them as my daycare parents and nothing more.
    I am only friends with my actual friends on facebook though... people I see often and family. That's it... no long lost friends from high school etc.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    I am but only with past clients so i can check in to see how there little one is doing! P.S Facebook is not private as many future employers can pay a sevice to look at our home pages!

Nope.

I posted a little while ago about a potential dc client googling me. I know people google people, and I have even googled parents that I have corresponded with, but I would never TELL them about it!

Anyhow, this woman was very judgemental, and I had photos from a zombie pub crawl thingy that she found, and she dared question me about it. Right then and there, I decided NEVER to be facebook friends with clients, and immediately set my home page to a very private setting (I also told the potential client to get stuffed lol). Again, nothing to hide, but NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. I contacted the host of the pub crawl page and asked him to remove my name from the photos too. Sucks that we have to do this, but in our profession, we ARE judged based on first impressions...sigh.

I have only added one parent to my 'friends' list. Two other parents I was actually friends with before taking on their children. But as for my other family and in the future I will not add any of them to my list. Mainly for all reasons already mentioned. I too have a page for my daycare where pics are posted as well as field trips, etc.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Shy
    I have two accounts - one for friends and family and one for the daycare that is closed and only open to the parents with children in my care. They love seeing pictures of what their kids have been up to all week. I don't like to mix business with pleasure