Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late Fees

Trace of Angels

Late Fees

Hi fellow DCP,

Do you charge late fees? Is so how much do you charge? Do you find this gives them the "license" to have a late pick up?

I have a family that I have talked to on a few occasions that still come late, not always but it's happening and for no good reason..........

WWYD or have done in the past to get the parents to pick up on time?

Shy
    My late fees are $5 per child for every 15 minutes late. Never had to use it knock on wood.

apples and bananas
    I don't offer late fees at all. I believe that if I charge for them it gives the client the perspective that I allow it or profit off of it. So, if they're late, they're not so concerned because they're going to pay me for the service anyways.

I have taken kids later for select families when I can. I do it out of the good of my heart and let the client know that I can't always do it, but as a one off I don't mind.

I only do it for clients that are amazing to me. And I don't always say yes.

If a client is late again and again I simply terminate them. If I charge them for that late I dn't think I'd be able to terminate as easily.

Just my opinion.

Outgoing
    I have gone back and forth about late fees....currently I don't have them. I may add them into my contract when I do renewals in September. I have only had one parent ever be extremely late, and there were a lot of other issues involved there as well that resulted in me terminating. I completely understand those that have and enforce them, I have been lucky in my daycare history so far....now, late payment? whole other story! lol

I charge $0.25 per minute but I haven't had to enforce the penalty in a long time. Only at the beginning I had a mom that would pay late fees to the agency (and me) because she was often late. I think with the experience I toughen up a bit so parents now come before pick up time all the time.

I charge $1.00 per min. I've only had each client late once. I give a 5 min. grace period. And I expect a phone call as well to give me an ETA. In increment weather I adjust my grace period slightly. I've never had a client be late 2x.

Except one of my original clients who started without a contract when I was a newbie. They continuously are late 5, 10 sometimes 15min late. They are being "grandfathered out" as of today actually. DCG's last day is today.

I charge $1.00 per min. If you are late, you are using some of my family time. My family time is very valuable to me, so you use it you pay for it. I do wave the fee if there is a major storm or emergency.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I charge late fees because if I do end up working even an extra minute I need to be paid for it.
    My late fees are $10 for the first 15 minutes and $1/per min for every minute after that.

That being said, I can't have late pick ups because of obligations I have as soon as I close.I am always very upfront regarding this with potential daycare families.
    I have a three strike and you're out rule.

Shy
    I do have late fees in my contract, but am also pretty clear that it in no way condones being late. Here's my late pickup section of my contract:

Late Pick Up

XXXXXXX is a home daycare, and as such, we have family activities and obligations after daycare hours. Please respect our family's time. Many children become anxious when parents do not arrive at their usual time. Drop offs and pick ups must be made at the agreed upon times each day unless other arrangements have been made in advance.

Late pick ups (after the usual time without prior arrangement, or after closing) will result in additional fees of $1 / minute after a 5 minute grace period.

If the unexpected arises (traffic, bad weather, etc.), please call to inform me that you are running late. You will be charged an extra $5 for the first 20 minutes, and $1 / minute after these 20 minutes.

Late pick up fees must be paid before the child may return to care.

Habitual lateness may result in termination of care.

Euphoric !
    I charge $5/half hour for early or late fees plus $5/half hour if the exceed 9 hours a day. I have rarely had parents request any of these things because they respect my long work days, but it's good to have a policy in place in case it happens. Make it clear that you do NOT want people to exceed their contracted times but you understand that an emergency can happen.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.