Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Potential caregiver's Facebook page. (Lack of privacy settings being used)

Hi

I was told to come to the forum by a good friend. She said that all of you lovely daycare providers, and parents may be able to help me out. I need your thoughts on something.

I am a shift worker, and I am currently looking to hire someone or to work with a dayhome for my four year old son. So I have put up an ad and most of the responses seem nice enough, and I seem to be getting an okay response. I received one from a lady who invited me to take a look at her Facebook profile......

Wellesy wellesy wellesy.... (Picture this said by Homer Simpson LOL)

She is going on and on about how a 5 year relationship with a douche-bag ended; and then she wrote a post on some website that is no longer available about how his twisted lies damaged her..Keep in mind people this is her speaking...

I understand that Facebook is yours and yours alone, but when you "invite someone" to take a look and this is what they see? I mean come on, get real!! A potential employer looking for a back up caregiver??

(I don't say sitter or nanny, because realistically its only needed when my husband and I work overnights or weekends at the same time, and I hate the word sitter, and I say employer because if I do not find a dayhome that wants to work with this, and I know most don't I will be technically this person's employer)

Would you call her?
    Would you interview her?
    Do you look up people on Facebook, when you want to for yourself to see what you can find?

I do not look up people on Facebook-- because for me if you saw my Facebook, but met me at work you'd be confused. (I am very serious, bucked down, and there to work) Facebook reflects my humor, and such....

That being said I am very careful about what I post, my privacy settings, and who I accept requests from. I even go as far as to have separate pages for friends and family.

So all in all wwyd?

A potential employer looking for a back up caregiver??

(I don't say sitter or nanny, because realistically its only needed when my husband and I work overnights or weekends at the same time, and I hate the word sitter, and I say employer because if I do not find a dayhome that wants to work with this, and I know most don't I will be technically this person's employer)
    You will be this persons CLIENT not her employer. Home Daycare Providers are business women, we are our own boss. We set the hours, make the rules and policies, you do not tell us how to run our business. Its like when you hire a lawyer or accounted, you are their client not their boss (employer).

If you want to be the employer then you will need to hire a Sitter or a Nanny, they follow your rules.

As for calling the lady that let you see her facebook page: If you are not comfortable with what you saw on the page then don't. If you are unsure of how you feel about what you saw then its really u to you, if you want to give her a chance or not.

As for looking up people on facebook, not unless the potential client lets me. But I don't take what I see at "face Value"

Euphoric !
    Considering you are interested in overnights/weekends when there is the chance for more familiy issues to creep up I think I would be inclined to pass on this one. Even if the caregiver doesn't think she is bringing the baggage of her relationships to the daycare with her she is. It will be reflected in her motivation, her level of concentration meaning supervision could be effected. You will have no control over the environment.

You would probably do better to contact the high schools or community colleges in your area and find a student willing to stay overnight with your child and then get them off to school the next day or ideally you would be home before the student themselves would need to leave for school.

BlueRose, thanks for the heads up, but if she takes care of my son, and only my son then technically she is under my employ. If she runs a business and chooses to do overnight and weekend daycare then, yes I am her client...It all depends on what I find/what my responses are.

This will dictate how our relationship is formed

Euphoric !
    Actually if the care takes place in the caregivers home then she is a business and should be giving you a receipt and claiming her income and expenses for taxes. ONLY if the person comes to your house and works in your house doing the tasks that you have set out - generally referred to as a nanny areyou the employer. As the employer there are CPP, vacation issues etc you will be responsible for.

As stated by Canada Revenue agency: "If you are an employer you are responsible for deducting Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions, Employment Insurance (EI) premiums and income tax from remuneration or other types of income you pay, remitting them to us and reporting them on the applicable slips"

I will say go with your gut feeling. You will leave your most precious being with someone else. You need to feel comfortable with that person. Have you asked about her (or any other provider) sleeping, discipline, eating, etc philosophies and see if they are similar to yours? What she thinks about free play, structured activities, etc? and see if what they are offering is what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 04-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Ah, I see, I guess I am just going based on the words I see in ads and stuff, and realistically it really doesn't matter to me. I am not one to disrespect or minimalize any work that any child care worker or dayhome provider does...in the end..I just don't want some whack job talking care of my child.

I sent him to a stay at home mom before and I caught her spanking him

I am not sure where you are but have you looked in daycare centers in your area that are open over night?

I am in Ottawa, we have at least one center that is open 24 hours 7 days a week. Its for people doing shift work. My oldest went to it for over a year until I was on mat-leave again. We all loved the center. They were wonderful.