Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My doors are locked and I have a security system which is not activated during the day but does have a chime for all doors and bedroom windows. If a parent were to drop by unexpectantly they should reasonably expect a door to be answered from immediately to 3 minute time lapse depending where we are in the house and wether I am changing a diaper. I think an open door policy is ridiculous. If you are worried about your provider being up to something then they should not be caring for your child. Trust your gut. Part of caring for your child is to protect them and keep them in a secure and safe environment - an unlocked door does not provide that and is negligent. Emergency responders can get in my house using excess force if I am not able to let them in.

Expansive...
    When we were little, my parents told us to keep our bedroom doors unlocked at night in case there was a fire and responders needed to get to us. Maybe her Mom told her the same thing and she got it confused with her front door too? LOL. That's the only way I can see it. My almost 3 yrs old starting unlocking and opening the front door about 6 months ago....and just Friday my new daycare boy tried to unlock and open the front door to go see the backhoes building a house across the street from me....scary! It's exactly why I have a safety latch up high, so in case I'm in the bathroom they will not be able to get outside.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have no idea what any of you ladies are talking about!!! I have never locked my front door when I am home (small town), during daycare hours or otherwise. Only when I go to bed at night. I have never had a daycare child go ANYWHERE NEAR the front door and try to exit without permission. My daycare area is not near my front door and my daycare kids are "trained" well enough that they know not to leave the daycare area while I am in the bathroom. And if they ever did leave the daycare room while I was in the bathroom they wouldn't have time to get to the front door, open it and leave before I was back. I just don't live in fear I guess, and I have a very well trained group of kids, always have for the past 13 years. I used to do my daycare in my open concept main floor and the children were only allowed on the carpet of the living room. The rest of the main floor was vinyl. The kids new not to cross the line between the two types of flooring. Yes it took time to teach them, but they are all teachable. My own children also never left the house on their own until they were old enough to do so and still always tell me when they are going outside. This is such a foreign conversation to me. I would also like to state that I am in Ontario Canada, and I do not have to be with a licensed agency, so there are no "rules" about me having my front door locked. I would imagine it is a personal preference type of thing in my area.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to daycaremum For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I keep my door unlocked during dropoff and pickup, but then lock it for the day. I do have an "Open Door Policy" for parents - they are welcome to drop by the house anytime and I can let them in.

Euphoric !
    I'm with you daycaremum .... I too live in the country and only started locking our doors about a year ago when we went out and we started locking them at night about 6 weeks ago as there have been some break ins in the area .... I stopped leaving my keys in my car at that time too. I have a gate at my entrance way so the daycare kids could never get to my door. And even if they could only one has the capabilities to open it

apples and bananas
    My front hallway is closed off by a door to my front room. So, it's literally a seperate room. I lock my front door... all the time! The only time it's unlocked is at pick up or drop off. I hate the thought that a parent would just wander in my home during the day unexpected. I have a strict "don't bother me" policy from 12 - 3 for proper quiet time.

I would not be concerned about the kids trying to leave out the front door if it was unlocked. I would be more concerned about someone coming in!

I spend my day home along with children that I am fully responsible for. My door is locked for safety.

Outgoing
    I have never locked my doors when I'm home. My daycare parents drop off at various times and need to be able to come in with their children. I can't leave children unattended to go and answer the door. I wonder what the parents would think if I locked my door LOL. I do lock my doors at night when I go to bed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

I don't always lock my doors. I have never had a daycare kid try to open the door. I can't imagine any child being out of my sight long enough to walk out.

Euphoric !
    I think it comes down to due diligence since we are alone with children making us all vulnerable. In this day and age of home invasions and pervert neighbours etc. we need to be aware. No being paranoid isn't part of it but why take the chance when a simple click eliminates some of the danger.

Mostly for me it is about turning around and finding a parent standing behind me. If a parent can silently enter and let's face it if our kids are enjoying their day they are noisy and it is possible to do then a parent could also walk in and take their child and you barely notice or another person could do the same if they wanted to.

One of the reasons I work from home alone is so that I am not on display and being scsrutinized every minute of the day or working with the knowledge that big brother is watching me. It gives me the creeps frankly and I used to be a school teacher where yes the principal could listen in to our class from the office with a simple click of the intercom and that never bothered me.

In home daycare I tend to be wary of things being taken out of context since it is someone walking into the middle of things and doesn't get that what you are saying is saracasm or teasing and not the way you would normally talk but part of what you were doing - although that still sounds wrong when I type it but I think you all know what I mean.

We use danger as our excuse for keeping the door locked but the reality is that we are private due to our silliness in daycare and not how I want adults to view me. I get to stop and compose myself back into an adult on my way to answer the door.

Euphoric !
    I only lock my door during nap. Other than that, it's always unlocked. I moved to a large town (on the verge of being a city) from a country location. At the old place, I never locked my doors. Jeez, I remember leaving for weekends having forgotten to lock up!

So far as Playfelt's comment about wanting to compose ourselves before greeting parents...not me. I WANT them to see me being silly with their kids. Parents are free to walk right in and take us as we are, whether we're all on the floor in a 'cuddle puddle', we're all dressed up for a parade, dancing to new music, having circle and even during the chaotic moments. For me, the parents seeing me at any moment builds their confidence in my abilities and in their choice of providers. I have found a full open door policy to be very beneficial. 99.9% of the time our times are fun filled here and I adore the little monkeys. However, there are some days when I hand their child over and announce 'Your turn. Enjoy!" They know I'm human and can become frustrated as much as anyone. They've never done more than laugh over it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post: