Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    For me it is not about locking us in, it's about locking out any potential trouble. I have had persons selling water heaters and alarm systems actually try to open my door when I didn't answer. Let me tell you they got an earful from me for that!!!! If my child was in daycare I would want to know the door is locked at all times after drop offs. They lock schools and daycare centres don't they?
    I don't lock out of fear, just for security.

This is me Cfred, the only difference is that I lock my door all day (just because I would not like someone that does not have anything to do with the daycare to get in)... We are very close to the main door. I have a gate in between so kids can not open it. It's just me. I wish I could leave the door unlocked, but I think it would make me feel uneasy... I can open the door pretty quick for any parent that wanted to get in...
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post

Parents are free to walk right in and take us as we are, whether we're all on the floor in a 'cuddle puddle', we're all dressed up for a parade, dancing to new music, having circle and even during the chaotic moments. For me, the parents seeing me at any moment builds their confidence in my abilities and in their choice of providers. I have found a full open door policy to be very beneficial. 99.9% of the time our times are fun filled here and I adore the little monkeys. However, there are some days when I hand their child over and announce 'Your turn. Enjoy!" They know I'm human and can become frustrated as much as anyone. They've never done more than laugh over it.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 04-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Euphoric !
    I've never had anyone walk into my house who didn't belong here. That's bizarre to have that happen! I'd be giving an earful too, kids or no kids. That's ridiculous! Maybe it's living in a smaller town....dunno.....it 's just never happened. It's funny, now that I've moved, my friends from the old neighbourhood knock, though I'd always had an open door policy with them too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Fortunately nobody that does not belong hasn't got in, but I have been scared a couple of times that for someone that I do not know could get in. One day (before daycare days) someone knocked the door (instead of ringing the bell) as if they were about to throw the door out...I checked through the window and was a police officer who only shout "open the door". He was very demanding. I told him I could not. He told me again to open the door. I told him no and that I would call 911 if he insisted. After that he he change his tone and told me there was a break in in the street. I was all freaked out by his behavior that I told him I would not open the door and I did not know anything about it (that was the true). Second time a creepy person call me to let her in my house to see the daycare right in the spot. She demanded my number because she already was in the street...
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 04-23-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Not sure about the rules in other provinces but I do know from my yahoo chat groups that the rules for many US licensed home daycares is that the doors are to remain unlocked with the idea that athorities could enter unannounced at any time and so can parents meaning they have immediate access to their children. A locked door means a caregiver could be hiding something or doing something and make it right just before answering the door.

Now having said that my door is locked except during the drop off and pickups that happen close together but there is a gate between the children and the door that is closed at all times. I expect parents to ring the bell and me to answer it. I think it is rude just to walk in. This is my home first and a daycare second. The child belongs in my daycare but the parent is a guest in my home.
    I am in the US and I always keep my doors locked. I also have a lot to hide. I don't want my son or my privacy challenged because I have other people's kids in my home. We come first.

My inspectors can not come in without the provider allowing them in. It would be very unsafe to require a provider to allow anyone who says they are an inspector to enter at any time. We are women home alone with small children.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    Daycarewhisperer, was that a typo? You have a lot to hide?

Even though my doors are always locked I don't think any of us should have anything to hide and should be able to let a parent in the door at any moment throughout the day without problem. I have had that happen and find it rude of a parent to show up without a call first because I'm really busy, but there should NEVER be anything going on that a parent can't see or hear. I'm not perfect mind you, but nothing secret goes on here.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I think she probably meant to protect rather than to hide.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't lock my door ever. On the flipside I have a 100 lb Shepard that will challenge you if you just walk in. Generally I know someone is here before they put their car in park.
    I have trained all my children to stay away from the front door unless I call them or announce we are going out front.
    Living in fear is not for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Daycarewhisperer, was that a typo? You have a lot to hide?

Even though my doors are always locked I don't think any of us should have anything to hide and should be able to let a parent in the door at any moment throughout the day without problem. I have had that happen and find it rude of a parent to show up without a call first because I'm really busy, but there should NEVER be anything going on that a parent can't see or hear. I'm not perfect mind you, but nothing secret goes on here.

I agree. I have an open door policy which means my doors are locked, but parents are welcome to show up any time their child is in care unannounced and I will let them in (as long as they take the child home with them when they leave). Personally, as a parent, I would not leave my child with anyone who did not allow me to show up unannounced.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I agree. I have an open door policy which means my doors are locked, but parents are welcome to show up any time their child is in care unannounced and I will let them in (as long as they take the child home with them when they leave). Personally, as a parent, I would not leave my child with anyone who did not allow me to show up unannounced.
    This would be a huge red flag for me as well, as a parent I would think the provider was hising something if I couldn't come unannounced, within reason of course.