Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

2013 Taxes (too early I know;)

I have just released a family from my care, just curious about tax receipt for 2013. Should they keep me up to date with their address and I mail it in January 2014 or make one for them now?

They have asked to have it now but I've always waited until my accountant gives me the #'s and issue receipts then. help!

What are the rules for issuing receipts: upon termination or at tax time?

Thank you

I issue tax receipts once a year in February. That is written in my contract. If kids are not longer with me. I usually call or email the parents when the date gets closer to confirm they still have the same address. T

Euphoric !
    I make out receipts in January and let parents know that they are ready. When a family leaves I tell them that it is their responsibility to let me know if they have moved. At the same time I will not mail out a receipt without first speaking with the family as I don't want the information in the hands of strangers.

If you give the receipt now there is a great chance they will lose it and want another one anyways.

By law you are required to give them a receipt by the end of February of the following year so you have until Feb 2014 and I would hold out. Make receipts for everyone at the same time.

Starting to feel at home...
    My contract says in January or upon termination. That way I can just give it to them and be done with it. I figured the numbers are not going to change in that time, they paid what they paid. Plus, one less thing to do at a busy time of year.

Euphoric !
    One of the reasons I wait is that our receipt is supposed to include our SIN number - see other threads on this. When a family is leaving in anger is not the time to give them such personal info. It also makes them come back to me in the new year sheepishlly or whatever to ask for the receipt. By law I must make it available - I do not have to mail it to them. They must come and pick it up - evenings only when hubby is here.

Now having said that I do give a receipt with each pay period so they would already have that and could use those. They wouldn't have my personal info but so what. The statement I give in January is a yearly compiled by monthly one page statement.

I can see where if you don't do regular receipts they want something now afraid you could move and not be available come January. I probably would give them a simple reciept ( I just use a book with tear out statements even the dollar store carries). Do not give them any info like your SIN just the amount and dates covered.