Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lunch ideas

Starting to feel at home...

Lunch ideas

I have a new family starting that really want me to push vegs. As it stands all I seem to do is throw out food cause many of the kids aren't accepting of vegs but will eat many types of fruit. So I'm looking for recipes/websites to check out to try and accommodate this family. Any casseroles we can try? My family don't love them but I could make and freeze for DC lunches. Thanks in advance

Euphoric !
    Pinterest has lots of good meal ideas. Some people don't like to do this but I find "hiding" vegetables in food works. Blending veggies and then using it in meatloafs, potatoes, even "cupcakes" works!

I roast lots of veggies and then blend them for the most delicious base for pasta dishes, soups and casseroles that you have ever tasted. When it comes to veg for the fussy eaters, I think its a good idea to just offer no more than 2 or 3 bites worth on their plate. It becomes more doable for them over time and less waste for you.

Outgoing
    I hide fruits and veggies too, lots of shredded zucchini and carrots in pasta dishes and muffins, applesauce instead of oil, banana breads etc.

Although I think that exposure is necessary too. Even if you need to work up from tolerating it on their plate, to eating a bite, and upwards. Kids need to learn to eat veggies as they are. I always give the kids a bit if everything (really small if I don't think they'll eat it) and use whatever they like as a bribe to try it. They can only have more of their favorite thing if they have a bit if the veggies.

Euphoric !
    Why do the parents always assume it is our job to make the kids eat foods they won't eat at home or that parents don't make them eat at home? I just put a spoonful of mixed frozen veggies on the plate and turn a blind eye if they don't get eaten but "reward" those that ate everything with something else as they must still be hungry. I do find they accept the veggies better if they are cold so I cook the veggies with our supper and then for lunch serve them cold from the fridge.

As far as hiding them the pureed veggies can be mixed into almost any casserole type dish, anything with hamburger. You can also mix many fruits and veggies together and then mix into puddings or cookies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I puree spinach, zuchini, peppers, tomatoes and other veggies the children don't want to see on their plates and put them into meatballs or meatloaf or shepherd's pie (made with a variety of ground turkey, chicken or beef). Pureed cauliflower, squash or sweet potatoes can be hidden in my crock pot mac n cheese which I serve a couple times a month. A small amount of pureed tomato & pepper can be added to a quesadilla. I bought a book called The Sneaky Chef at Chapter's on recommendation from a friend. It has wonderful recipes. I love it.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Why do the parents always assume it is our job to make the kids eat foods they won't eat at home or that parents don't make them eat at home?.
    Agreed. Talking to a parent who seemed concerned that their child wasn't getting enough fruits veggies (and we eat a lot here), get to the end of explaining where the veggies are in my meal plan - which is always posted and NEVER looked at - for them to say "ok good, because we eat like crap at home"

Euphoric !
    2cuteboys, that's what crossed my mind too. I've had a parent actually say to me - I don't have to worry about serving nutritious suppers because I know my child gets all their nutrition at daycare daily.

I know it's true of more than a few families, but Madmom I answered your question in my earlier post but I have to agree with the others that you should only do this if you absolutely feel that you should make changes to your menu. If you think your meals are already nutritious then do NOT make any changes!

We work darn hard, long days and we're all doing our best for 5 or more children 5 days a week 40 hours a week or more. Parents are supposed to interview with us and choose us for our programs, meals, and many other reasons. Parents can't sign on the dotted line and agree to abide by all the policies, then demand that we made changes. I'm getting a little angry for you now Madmom! Tell the parents in this case that you serve a good amount of all food groups and hope that they are doing the same at home, grrrrrrr!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't hide any veggies, we eat tons explore new. Sometimes it's how it's cooked. I have a lot of kids that prefer raw but others love them steamed. So I do a balance of both.

I give small protein and starch portions with lots of veg. My kids all know 2nds of there favorites won't come until all veggies are gone. If it's something new we are trying then I asked them to taste it. If they don't like it I don't force it!

My kids favorites are sugar snap peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, avacodo, bell peppers of all colours. I have little ones who will ask for 2nds of broccoli. I don't do anything fancy except for once in a while drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil over them as soon as I strain them (that's only if there steamed).

Can't wait to try lots of squash this season!