Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Would/have you taken a child with severe peanut allergy?

Hi ladies!
    Have you ever taken on a child with a peanut allergy (requiring an epi pen)? I have filled my 2 full time spots, and could potentially take on a part time child as well. I met with one this morning and they seem perfect, the little girls age meshes perfectly with the other children in the group and her part time days are flexible as it's for socialization since Mom is on mat leave and may or may not return to work. Hours are ideal 9-4 and they live in the neighbourhood. Parents seem cool and asked great questions, and the little girl is gorgeous (let's face it, it plays a role lol).
    Once concerning drawback is that she has a peanut allergy. I do not advertise as a peanut free home and told them so...while I don't directly serve the children nuts or peanut butter, since it's in the house I can not guarantee that she won't come into contact with it. They didn't seem terribly concerned, so I'm not sure what to think. I'm thinking of sending them a follow up email, saying how "nice it was to meet them, blah blah blah, the only thing that concerns me is....because....wha t are your thoughts on this?"

What do you think ladies? Has this worked for you in the past?

Outgoing
    I did it once and it was a continuous concercen but its doable. I put all my snacks into tupperware containters and I would lable it to read "Peanut Free, Safe for Matthew" so if my hubby or daughter were helping out it was clear to them. as for having peanut butter int he house, I always had 2 tubs of margarine on the go. 1 small one just for daycare so that no peanut butter residue found its way into the margarine, also labelled "safe for matthew". You have to be sure to read all product lables and ultimately you will be nut free for all your daycare kids. If you have little ones of your own who eat peanut butter, just have them wash well and brush teeth after eating peanut butter before playing or being near the child. Its just something that you will have to be aware of but it will soon become second nature.

I did. He was 6 months when he started with me. When he was closer to 1 year old he became allergic to peanuts. I've never had to use the epipen, but I was very careful to avoid cross contamination. Rest of the parents were informed that if kids had peanut products for breakfast they should wash hands and brush teeth before coming. I stopped buying bulk foods at that time because usually they do not guaranty that their products have never been in contact with peanut products.

apples and bananas
    My son has a severe peanut allergy. It`s really not a huge issue.

If you do choose to take on this child you have to ensure that counters are wiped down after any peanut butter is used. You need to purchase, or make, your own peanut free baked goods. You need to make the other parents aware and you should not have peanut products out in the morning before she arrives. The other children should not have any peanut products before they arrive either.

You will want the client to leave an epi pen with you at all times. So, if the girl forgets it, no care! She needs to go home and get it. Otherwise leave one with you all the time. You will need to keep it with you when you leave the house and even go to the backyard. ( squirrels will often carry nuts if offered in neighbours yards ) `

Epi pens are easy to use. You can even order trainers from the websites for free.

If you don`t feed the kids peanuts as a rule then it`s really not a huge issue.

Euphoric !
    Personally I would not take a child with a serious allergy lke this. I don't serve nut products to the daycare kids either, but it is just too much risk for me. I have one child who can't eat rice and it has been something that changed my entire menu as I would prefer not to worry about other kids giving it to him...and his is not life threatening.

Euphoric !
    I had a child with a nut/peanut allergy and the parents provided me with their extra epipen to carry everywhere with me in my park bag with my emergency medical forms. I did not have any problem at all but thankfully I never had to use the epipen.

I never allowed food to be brought in from home, read all bread item labels but I cook everything else from scratch. I don't buy that many prepackaged products but even packages of pasta and things like that I checked their labels too for any trace of nut/peanut warnings.

It was easy for me to provide a nut-free home because I don't have little children in my home anymore. If you have a large family eating peanut butter and nuts all the time the oils can be on your furniture and you may have a problem. Unless maybe you can confine your family to eating at the table so you can clean it properly and making sure they wash up as soon as they finish eating any nut products. It can be done if you are diligent.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I take children with allergies but not one that is anaphylactic in nature such as a peanut allergy. There is too much chance for there to be a reaction and it is not safe for me to be devoting attention to the child in the life and death situation while ignoring the other children. Since my house is not peanut free and my hubby is the worst offender coming home from work and having peanut butter sandwiches for snack the chances of the residue being in the kitchen is there. When a family with a severe allergy contacts me I usually suggest they go the daycare centre route where there are extra aduts available and the cook is making all food in a controlled environment.

Starting to feel at home...
    Never. The biggest reason I am self-employed is so that I can run my business the way I want to and taking on a child with a peanut allergy is not something I would be willing to do. Simply because I don't want the stress of having to do or not do certain things. I just wouldn't want to assume the liability.
    That might sound selfish but it's my business. There are plenty of providers out there to choose from that ARE willing.

Outgoing
    I have, and its not that hard. Ydd has a bff who is allergic to peanuts and I have no problems. I would take peanut allergy over egg allergy any day.

Euphoric !
    I take kids with sensitivities but no life threatening allergies. I have 2 epipens on hand, should we 'discover' a life threatening allergy, but generally refuse service. Peanut butter is one of my favourite things so there's no way I'd give that up.