Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

How to handle this

So this is my problem. I have a 3 y o scheduled for an interview for a spot that is no longer available. I only have a part time spot now(3 days per wk) as my one dcb decided to stay. It makes obvious business sense to fill the spot with the full timer (as I am not finding a part timer for the other 3 days) however I am not sure what to do/how to do it.

1) My one idea is to meet with the new parents for their interview and see if they are a fit then offer them the spot. Offer my part timer the summer off (she had asked about it originally as she is a teacher). Then the part timer can come back in Sept (he would be my 5th then, I just don't want 5 right now as I am just starting 2 others next wk and in July).

2) If the mom wants him to attend in the summer then I am not sure what to do. The kid isn't transitioning well and I don't know if he will ever transition well as he is only 2 days per wk. He screams for the whole 2 hr nap. He has only been with me for 3 wks though. So I have an "out" with the family and can tell her he isn't transitioning well, he either needs to come full time or not at all.

What would you do? I obviously need to do what makes sense of me financially but I also have to worry about my reputation as well.

Euphoric !
    There is a very good chance the mom could turn around and pull him for the summer rather than bring him and you would be sorry you didn't just replace him. If you have the openings then I would for sure do the interview and see what you think of the new child and your group. The fact the other pt one is only two days a week remember that would be 3 days a week he isn't there anyways and you would have the other 3 year old.

What you could do is take on the 3 year old if you can and then let the teacher know that you will continue till June with the child but if he has not settled by then that you won't be continuing because it will be too disruptive since you will be settling other new children into care. Then if he needs to leave advertise to fill the space in Sept or hope that he has settled by then.

You might be surprised to find that he has acatually settled in by summer and then it just means that for 2 days a week you will have your full quota but three days you won't. Also remember that many families take vacation in summer so there will be weeks you are down in numbers anyways.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I wouldn't make any decision until after you interview the family for the 3 yr old.

Then your list of pros and cons will be more clear.

What if the 3 yr old is a horrible fit... or is a perfect fit?

I try to always interview, especially if I am not sure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyP For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    So I am going to keep the interview and go from there. The problem I have is that I had told my one family I had wanted to keep my number at 4 + my 2 because that was the most I thought I could get insurance wise and didn't think I wanted my group to be too large. Now I have more coverage. This same mom had reservations because I am unlicensed but visited some licensed dc and decided on me anyways and said she was very confidant in her decision. I sent out a welcome email and this same mom realized my new admission in July is also a baby and expressed concern (but tried to hide it behind a joke) e.g 3 kids under 2, you're a brave woman.

Euphoric !
    Don't let the one family dictate what you do in your own daycare. Do what works for you and if the mom is not happy she will give notice and you can fill the spot with a family that doesn't care as long as you are within ratios. I wouldn't tell the mom anything or bring it up just let her handle it in her own way. Chances are she will be concerned and make a few comments but then wait and see how it all plays out before making any decisions. But you don't want to start your daycare catering to the first family in for the duration of their time with you. Just do what feels right to you.

I agree with Playfelt. I am almost in the same situation than you. I have always had 4 kids max for close to 6 years that I open been in this business. I have a mom that has been with me since the beginning (now with the second child). We became friends when the older graduated and was not my client anymore. We keep friends now. I told her my plans to have 5 kids after my son become 2 years old when she enrolled the 2nd girl. She forgot and now that I told her someone will join us in June and will have 5 kids, She looked surprise and uncomfortable and asked if that were the plans (she forgets things so I believe she really forgot about it). She now made peace with it. She is my friend but this is my business and my source of income. She has respected that so far that is why we continue being friends with her and have good relationship as a client. She now understands my position since I explain again the reasons I told her at the beginning.

Euphoric !
    This mom actually asked me to tell her if I decide to go with 5 plus my own "just so I know " Not sure what that means but I guess we will find out if I take on this boy

Hey Torontokids,

I always make a blanket statement of "I will never be an over ratio daycare. Safety and obeying of provincial law are always at the top of my list." I have never had a parent question that statement anyone that tells me that they are comfortable with x number (if under ratio) of children is always a red flag for me, (when doing phone interviews) but when I interview them I always make that blanket statement and it seems to work for them.

D