Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Sorry that the red tape is getting on your nerves and unless you are super lucky it does take a while to get those great clients. There are never any guarantees for any of us, we are always interviewing and filling spaces. Mat leaves, job transfers, JK, there are so many reasons that we are constantly in a state of flux. Big hugs to you and best of luck.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Not sure what the wage is that the agency but if you could advertise for that same amount as your private income you would at least be able to attract the younger families since the age restrictions would be gone.

Is the family willing to pay the higher fee now with the understanding they go to the subsidized rate as soon as that is approved.
    The agency rate is only $2 and $5 (I am with 2 agencies) less then mine. But the clients I get through the agency are not full fee clients they are all subsidized so they pay according to their income. They can pay as little as $0 up to just below full fee.

As for the family paying full fee know. Its not that simple. i had a client a who wanted to start before their subsidy meeting. I was told that they could pay me my fee for the few days until they had the meeting. But I could NOT spend the money. If they did not get subsidy I got to keep the money, but if they got subsidy I had to give the money back and subsidy would back pay me. This freeze can last a few weeks to a few months (even to the end of the year) so their is NO way I will do this. If I know for sure that the freeze will be over with in 2 weeks I would budget for it, but not knowing for sure how long it will last, I just can't do it.

Euphoric !
    Not sure the agency can tell you not to spend the money but at the same time you know what rate the agency will pay you so as long as you charge the family the agency rate they would pay you then the back pay would go to the family - via you depending on the paperwork trail but you would still be getting the basic agency rate regardless from the day the family starts right. In other words it would be up to the family that wants to start now to pay the difference till their subsidy hearing and then get reimbursed for the excess fees paid. Your fee would be the same and you would have a child in care now. If for any reason they didn't get subsidy then they would either become a private client, a regular client through the agency or make alternate plans and you would lose the child but if you have a space not filled right now it might be worth the risk.

Playfelt - if all we were doing was waiting for their subsidy meeting I would talk to them about it. The problem is that subsidy itself has a freeze on. They are not giving out subsidy to any new family's until farther notice.

Outgoing
    I would choose right now either private or agency. Then you can focus more on one them both. I would go private and lower my rate. Make a sign for your house either put it in the front yard or in your window. I bet you alot of people don't know that you are running a daycare. Hand out flyers thruout your neighbour hood, if you a community post office advertise there. Let the schools know too. I think more than half of us have worked for an agency all we all left.

I would choose right now either private or agency. Then you can focus more on one them both. I would go private and lower my rate
    I would love to go private. I just can't find any clients in this area. they all want/need subsidy. I can not lower my rates any more then they already are. they are $35/day.

I do put up /hand out flyers in my area. The school across the street will not advertise home daycares, they have a daycare in the school. The post office will not advertise either, but I do put up flyers at the Metro across the street.

The area I am in is mainly low income. I am surrounded by projects, community living homes, group homes, rent to income housing. As long as I live in this area I have to face the fact that I have to stay with at lest one of my agencies. This doesn't mean I will not find a private client now and then but not enough of them to keep my business going. We are saving to move, but it will take a year or two before we can.

Right now if I would walk away from the agencies I would end up having to close. All my clients at the moment are through an agency.

Outgoing
    could you maybe charge by the hour instead of by the day. I only charge 30 dollars a day. Maybe people need a couple of hours and by charging by the hour may seem less to them.

Quote Originally Posted by momofnerds View Post
    could you maybe charge by the hour instead of by the day. I only charge 30 dollars a day. Maybe people need a couple of hours and by charging by the hour may seem less to them.
    I am not going to do drop in care or "babysit" for a hour here and there. I will become to complicated with the age restrictions the agency put on me.

I am now willing to do part time 3 or 4 days a week. I have been getting a lot of requests for that.

Update:

the agency is STILL on a freeze and subsidy denied the family. Things just keep getting better and better. lol

I really need my luck to turn around soon.

Starting to feel at home...
    Have you tried joining any on-line groups that connect Mum's in your area ? I was having a lot of trouble filling my last space, and I was doing all the same stuff that you are - belonged to daycare bear, ads on Kijiji, godaycare etc. There's all kinds of Facebook groups (I joined Mom's in Kanata, and Mom's in Stittsville because those areas are close to where I live) There were a fair number of parents who would post "Looking for a caregiver for my "X" year old child...." Another idea, is to join some of the Daycare provider support groups on Facebook (most are closed, PM me if you'd like me to "vouch" for you) These groups are helpful because caregivers who are full will pass along the contact information of parents who are looking for caregivers - it's like a professional association. It is really helpful - for both parents and caregivers - and it might help you bust out of the rut. =) Good luck, hang in there, and if I can help - just give me a holler.