Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    This was my question today! Since having another baby start I find our transitions all take much longer and I am trying to find ways to streamline. For lunch I have the older ones play but I am finding it is just another "clean up time" etc and I think I will try table top activities. Since reading a post yesterday, I now have the kids sit on the mat on the floor before going upstairs and this has helped a lot. I like all the tips, keep them coming!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I'm super lucky that I have my hubby home during this time and he whips out the guitar and puts on a little show for the kids. They LOVE it! If my hubby had to leave early for work and I'm on my own, I will turn the TV on for the older kids (Caillou is a fav ~ drives me NUTS!), and the younger ones either play in the kitchen with me, or I sit them in the highchair with some Cheerios to keep them happy. So far it's worked out really well!

Starting to feel at home... zoomama's Avatar
    as i start prepping lunch i announce that it's time to wash up and come and sit at the table. by the time everyone is washed and ready, little ones are in their boosters and lunch is well on the way. they are totally happy to sit at the table and chat with me and each other while lunch is getting made, and we often sing songs, which even the littlest ones love. it's a calm, relaxing time and they are just happy that food is on the way after a busy morning!
    might not work for everyone, but i've found it works best for me. also, the littlest ones learn that it's okay to sit and wait for something. at the beginning, they can be noisy and demanding and it takes only a short time before they know this is a waiting time. and i think that's a very healthy thing for them to learn!
    “Children are not a zoo of entertainingly exotic creatures, but an array of mirrors in which the human predicament leaps out at us. ”
    ― John Updike

We always put in a movie. Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 are favourites around here. That buys me 15/20 min whilst I prepare or warm food, serve and get the little ones in their booster seats. Then after lunch we will watch another 15 min or so until naptime.

This is the only time the tv is on and it's my lifesaver!

My kids free play every time I am fixing lunch.

Starting to feel at home...
    At my house, most of the kids are free playing and one or two usually will be sitting at the table waiting. Our playroom and kitchen is one open room so this works fine for us. I don't have any babies right now but when I do they will be in the highchair so there's no one under my feet while I'm cooking!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a bunch if those lunch containers that are divided I to three sections.. So I try and make the kids lunches the night before or the morning of and put them in the fridge. Then when it's lunch time each child gets the lunch container and viola!! Lunch is served lol!! I think I might start doing that with snack too!!