Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Am i the only one?

Hi, just wondered if I was the only person who has not filed there taxes yet? I wasn't too concerned until my husband went to file his today and could not do it without my income!! So now I am not flavour of the month round here. Why does he need my income to file his taxes? (new to Canadian tax system). Is it quite easy to file online or should I get an accountant to do it for me - I have most of the figures sorted and I did use to file online in England? Someone tell me they have not done theirs yet so I don't feel so alone? Thanks ladies

Me neither... It is call procrastination lol! I am planning to tonight. I have always done the taxes myself. I have my paperwork sorted out. I need to start entering the info in Turbotax!!!! When I do mine I do my husband at the same time. It helps to do partners together for potential savings and refunds. I have always done it for both at once for that reason.

Please please pleasepleaseplease anyone...tell me the breakdown. I didn't file last year because I got scared. I have to file two years' worth of daycare taxes. I am terrified and am putting it off. I have NO idea what I'm doing.

Shy
    Another procrastinator here! Or actually, my husband is the procrastinator, and I can't file yet because I need his income for mine. It makes me feel very uneasy to not have it done yet, but DH keeps saying that we have plenty of time.

Alphaghetti if I had know not filing was an option I would have chose that one! Lol. What is this breakdown you speak of (I take it that it isn't the one I am currenty having). Would that be how you work out the percentage of what you can claim from utilities etc. I have been looking at the cra website and it has a little story that explains how to work that out (hope you are good at math). Damn you taxes for spoiling my quiet time

Shy
    Wait, not filing is an option? I thought filing yearly was mandatory. (I'm not from Canada originally, so not exactly an expert.)

Outgoing
    Alpha if I remember correctly your in my area (Durham region). If you want the name of my tax lady let me know. She is awesome. Only charged us $140 to do both mine and my husbands and knows all the breakdowns and what we can/cannot claim. Super nice lady

Euphoric !
    Filing is not an option unless you want some pretty stiff penalties .... If you don't know what you are doing then take it to an accountant and have it done .... Worth the money .... And have them do hubby's too and yes you have to file together as they need both incomes for certain tax breaks and child tax credit and the like ..... Mine are being prepared as we speak . And of course I owe !!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

In canada, if you are married, you have to file your taxes together because it is considered to be 1 income per household.

and I'm pretty sure that businesses are allowed to file their taxes 2 years late without penalties.

that being said... I did mine as soon as I could because I was scared and it's actually not that bad at all! I used the ''band aid'' method. Faster you do it, less it hurts...!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mlle.coccinelle For This Useful Post:

I just found out that while a business can file up to the end of June, the cra will start from the end of april to charge you interest if you owe. Nice guys eh?