Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Unhappy Frustrated and angry

A couple of weeks ago, I had a parent that decided not to come in on Tuesday, shortly after the couple arrived and decided to give me their two weeks notice, it was a bit of a shock, they demanded their post-dated cheques and asked me for their deposit. I told them that proper weeks were not given and that I would deduct two days off their deposit. Honestly, they should not even receive back their deposit. They came to see me in June last year, I held their spots until February this year, I didn't charge them holding fees and could not fill in their spots. Yesterday, I get a txt at 10:30 p.m asking as to why the receipt was not in the mail with their deposit. They simply don't get it, we just arrived home from celebrating our 25th year anniversary, ruin the rest of my evening. Today, I blocked them from my cell and send them a receipt for 2012 and a receipt for 2013 and a cheque dated for end of May minus 2 days of care times two kids. What they should of done is giving me notice the Friday when they payment was due, I would applied their deposit. She was one of the worse clients, I ever had did not want to communicate with me whatsoever. Their parents are my neighbors and it makes it really awkward for me. I am sorry for the long thread, why do parents continue to not respect and obide our contracts. I have a client starting in September because their son was starting school in September, do I go back to that client and ask them for holding fees until August, it's not fair to them, I don't want to hold spots and then parents change their minds. Your feedback is appreciated.

Outgoing
    why in the world did you give them back their deposit? unless i missed something, they are walking out on you without notice therefore they lose their deposit. If I were you I would cancel the cheque you sent them. Why are they leaving? is it possible they needed you until a daycare centre spot came available? in any case, keep your money. As for the other client that you are holding a spot for, you could lose them if you suddenly ask for a holding fee. I would maybe let them know that you have had to make some changes and that you wanted it to be clear that if they change their mind that the deposit they provided is not refundable. You could ask for holding fees that will be applied to their fees when they start. For examply they pay the equivalent of 2 days per week from now until they start but when they start you will deduct 2 days per week from their fees until the balance is even.

Their payment went through my account on April 12th and they gave me their notice on Tuesday, April 16, I'm just being nice, I deducted two kids two days to make it two weeks. I do agree that I should of not sent them any money at all. As for the family starting in September, I will have to wait for them I guess.

Euphoric !
    So, if I understand, they paid you for the two weeks in advance, then did not show up and waited until the Tuesday to give notice...so that is why you deducted two days from their deposit? If that is correct, then you do owe them the deposit minus 2 days as they have paid for most of the 2 week notice period. I am wondering why you dated the cheque for teh end of May? If you owe them this money, then it should be dated for now.

Parents always pay me in advance, I've been stiffed so many times. They paid on Friday and gave me notice on Tuesday, it was their option not to come back. I dated the cheque for the end of the month because I am out two clients and have no money to return to them. They left me in a jam.
    Last edited by pink; 04-24-2013 at 12:42 PM.