Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ideas

Starting to feel at home...

New ideas

Hi ladies,
    I feel like I m serving the same thing every week for lunch and looking for new ideas. We always have fruit and veggies with lunch. The kids don't like eggs (was reading other threads about eggs being a hit) and can be picky some times. They are good with sandwiches, chicken stir fry, hamburgers, Mac and cheese. What are some other of the favourite lunches at your house? Thanks

Euphoric !
    Ham is one of their favourites so I often cook a small ham on the weekend and then cube it so it goes on their plate as fingerfood. That can get us through three days but when you vary what the veggie or starch on the plate is then it looks like variety.

I also find garnishing with another fruit or veggie makes the plate look nicer such as always having apple slices but one day having a few grapes cut up on them or one strawberries sliced on top makes it look better - and saves money since the cheaper apple is the main fruit and the 5 strawberries is just a garnish.

Pigs in a blanket - hotdogs cut into strips rolled into biscuit dough is a favourite and what is for lunch today. I put cheese in them and they are on my list of liked foods too.

Pork loin slices up nice and takes the place of chicken just to give a meat variety.

Mostly my meals are fingerfoods so I only make one meal for the whole group as compared to different things for different ages.

Even just varying what they do like so if they like hamburgers do they do ok on things like hamburg helper so it is in casserole form.

Making the sandwich fillings like tuna, chicken, etc and then putting on crackers instead of bread changes up something you are already doing.

ham, chicken, pork seem to be the only things mine eat - beef tends to be a no go even nice and soft from the crockpot. I can't do eggs here either because of allergies for one of the kids.

I cook the same thing for all ages. My 18 month old will eat the same as my 3.5 yr olds. There's no reason why they can't. I may whizz something up for a child still learning to chew but they still get the same food. If I have real young ones then when I prep the food I just leave a little of everything separate and purée or mash it.

Do you use a crock pot? You can throw all sorts together in there. I make beef stew which is always a different variation sometimes with pearl barley, potatoes or quinoa and whatever veg is either on sale or a have more of. Also this can be blended to make a soup. When I serve soup, regardless of age I put it in cups. Those who can use a straw do and it encourages them to eat it.

Just a few favourites right now are roasted red pepper and tomato soup which is super easy to make and tastes awesome. Toss red peppers and tomatoes in olive oil and garlic. Roast until everything is caramalized then throw it all in a blender and whizz up. If its to thick I just add water, stock or even a little milk or cream to make it extra rich.

Chicken curry with rice, beef stroganoff, butter chicken lasagne and fish pie are not only favourites but requested by my older crew.

Euphoric !
    My dcks love fish, spaghetti, tortelinni, tuna or chicken salad in mini pitas, mini quiche, home made soup (broccoli , and cauliflower are the favs). Homemade chicken fingers, ham sandwiches, grilled cheese, homemade pizza, are a few examples

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    this weeks menu:
    Monday- spaghetti and meatballs
    Tuesday- chicken wraps
    Wednesday- veggies omelettes
    Thursday- ham and potatoes
    Friday- homemade pizza on pita bread

other favorites are breaded chicken, any pasta, soup, stew, hot sandwiches (ie grilled cheese, blt, roast beef). I serve every meal with a veggie also

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Ham is one of their favourites so I often cook a small ham on the weekend and then cube it so it goes on their plate as fingerfood. That can get us through three days but when you vary what the veggie or starch on the plate is then it looks like variety.

I also find garnishing with another fruit or veggie makes the plate look nicer such as always having apple slices but one day having a few grapes cut up on them or one strawberries sliced on top makes it look better - and saves money since the cheaper apple is the main fruit and the 5 strawberries is just a garnish.

Pigs in a blanket - hotdogs cut into strips rolled into biscuit dough is a favourite and what is for lunch today. I put cheese in them and they are on my list of liked foods too.

Pork loin slices up nice and takes the place of chicken just to give a meat variety.

Mostly my meals are fingerfoods so I only make one meal for the whole group as compared to different things for different ages.

Even just varying what they do like so if they like hamburgers do they do ok on things like hamburg helper so it is in casserole form.

Making the sandwich fillings like tuna, chicken, etc and then putting on crackers instead of bread changes up something you are already doing.

ham, chicken, pork seem to be the only things mine eat - beef tends to be a no go even nice and soft from the crockpot. I can't do eggs here either because of allergies for one of the kids.
    playfelt- do you have any baking recipes without eggs? I have a dcg starting with me soon who is allergic and im trying to find some good recipes

This is what I have been serving for lunch this week:

Mon - Chicken and broccoli casserole / Brown rice

Tue - Whole wheat grilled cheese sandwich / Homemade kale chips

Wed - Beans, brown rice and veggies casserole / Quinoa crackers

Thu - Spinach breaded tofu / Couscous / Steamed beets

Fri - Edamame and ham quesadilla / Cucumber

monkeymama - this is a great list for substituting eggs in baking.

http://photos.happyherbivore.com/pdf/EggSubstitute.pdf

Starting to feel at home...
    wow such great ideas...I must have the most picky eaters in my care because most those I could not get the kids to eat!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    monkeymama - this is a great list for substituting eggs in baking.

http://photos.happyherbivore.com/pdf/EggSubstitute.pdf
    thank you!