I'm feeling very frustrated with a new child in my daycare and could use some tips and suggestions. She is almost 3, and this is only her second week with us. It is not her first daycare, and apparently it took only a few days last time for her to get used to the routine.
She has been having tantrums pretty much all day long, every time I try to get her to follow our schedule. She won't sit at the table with the other kids for meals, refuses to walk with us to the park (very frustrating after the long winter!) and kicks and screams if I try to put her in the stroller. She has also been refusing to even stay on the upper floor for nap time, which is where I have the playpens and beds set up. I have tried giving her a separate space and mattress on her parents' request (not easy to do in my space, but I am willing to try to accommodate) and she is screaming and kicking so loud that the other children are being woken after only 15-20 min of nap.
I can deal with the upsets during the rest of the day, but the others need their naps (desperately, in some cases) and I have tried everything (stories, songs,quiet activities instead) but she will not calm down even enough to let the others nap. Her mom says she naps for 2 hours at home and never has any problem sleeping. Also, I should mention that she doesn't speak or understand any English.... so explaining things to her is out. Any suggestions for things I may not have tried yet, or ways to talk to the parents about the situation? I have tried to explain how bad the tantrums are, but I think they just assume I should be able to handle it and it is all part of her transition. How long do children of this age usually take to transition?