Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Puts everything in his mouth! Advice please!

I have a 1 year old boy (just turned 1 this week) that puts everything in his mouth! He started a few months ago and I figured he was just teething/exploring his environment but now he is sick so I am noticing more and constantly washing things he puts in his mouth! I had a full sink full before morning ended! What I am wondering, is this too young to start teaching "not in your mouth" or is it unreasonable to ask this of him? I have 2 other 1 year olds that don't put anything in their mouth...I was going to tell his Mom that I am going t start working on it with him but then was wondering, is this even reasonable at this time? When I notice he is doing it a lot, I give his soother but I rather not start that as his Mom lets him have it all day long but I take it out when he gets here!
    Thanks for any advice given!

any advice would be great!!

Euphoric !
    I don't think it's too young .... It just becomes a habit ... I have a just turned 2 yr old who still picks something up and stuffs it in her mouth .... Automatically....I say all day @ not In Your mouth" .... I th k at home she's allowed to suck on everything .... It's gross..... I have two younger ones (14 months and 17 months ) and I started right away telling them not in your mouth and they rarely put anything in their mouth compared to the two year old .... Good time to start

perfect thanks so much!!

Euphoric !
    Well I think you just explained why he is doing it, he is used to having a soother in his mouth all day and you are breaking him of the habit. I would reinforce "not in your mouth" and he should start to get it

thank you!! So true!!

Euphoric !
    I am constantly on my 1 year olds for this...I have one who still does it all the time after 6 months with me and I know his mom also reinforces this...it is a very hard thing to break!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    SInce he is used to having his mouth full with the soother I would probably let him have it for a month or so longer to stop the chewing on toys but have it attached to a clip so that if he spits it out A) you don't lose it in the playroom and B) he will gradually wean himself off it hopefully. He may very well still be teething so wants something in there. IF mom lets him have it then it is a habit he has. If you give him a couple more months his understanding of things will be better and he is less likely to chew the toys.

If you don't want to encourage the soother habit at daycare some will attach a teething toy to the child telling them that only that toy may go in the mouth. That will take a lot of reinforcing but will eventually solve both problems of no chewing and no soother.

I have an 18 month old with a soother and a bunny thing - like a washcloth with a head, lol, he drags around and if either one gets dropped he wails like he is beign tortured. His parents think it is so cute that all three of their kids have their lovies - ages 5, 3, and the 18 month old I have. I don't think it is so cute but not worth the wailing on my part if parents don't care. I have warned them that he is falling behind because there is only so much playing you can do with one hand and talking with your mouth full isn't all that easy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    It doesn't matter what the age, I teach them that there is no food going on the floor and I teach them not to put things in their mouth and I teach them all the other rules from the first day they start at daycare. A 12 month old child can understand what you are saying, but they are all different so they have different learning capabilities, but if you keep saying the same thing they are going to learn quicker. I have a 3 year old who puts his whole hand in his mouth and he's the one who is driving me bonkers right now. Yuck!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I agree, it's not too young to start teaching him! I have a 3.5 year old dcg that still puts things in her mouth and slobbers on them, (yuck!), because she's been allowed to do it for so long.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post: