Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fear of Bugs

Hybrid View

Starting to feel at home...

Fear of Bugs

One of my newer kids has a severe fear of bugs. With the weather not being so nice this spring, the bugs have remained hidden until this week. While at the park today, he would scream, kick and run away from the bugs. We are outside every day in the spring, summer and fall, so this may be a very trying time for him.

Any suggestions on how to help with this fear? Staying inside is not an option, as it is important for the kids to get outside and explore.

apples and bananas
    Oh no! I've never seen a kid react that harshly to bugs. My kids won't stop playing with them. They are all over the slide and the equipment. Nothing harmful, but still, I'd prefer they didn't try to pick them up.

Gee... i don't know what I'd do. I may just ignore the behaviour and continue to reasure the child that they won't hurt you and they're itty bitty compared to how big the child is. Thats if the child is over 2.5 and can understand the concept.

I have to wonder how a child is that scared of bugs?

I guess with any reaction we always want to teach the child how to express themselves properly. Screaming isn't it! But walking away calmly and telling an adult, that might be better. Again, it depends how old the child is.

Maybe a lesson plan on bugs is in order.

Expansive...
    Well I know my own kids ( and myself too!) are more eeked by bugs in the spring, but once a couple of weeks have passed they get more used to having bugs around. After all, its been months since we've seen any bugs at all! What if you focused on all the things that are great about bugs....bees collect nectar and make honey, worms are good for flowers etc. It might take a bit of time but hopefully he comes around.

Euphoric !
    Sounds like someone in his family has a fear of bugs and has passed it on. My teenaged son is terribly afraid of spiders and always has been...it has been so hard to get him not to pass that on to his younger siblings! Maybe you could get some bug catching boxes and books about bugs and plsatic bugs and make a theme of it? Maybe if he learned not to be afraid of the plastic bugs, he will be better with real ones? I don't know...I never managed to get my son out of it...so not sure how helpful I can be!

Euphoric !
    You didn't mention his age but I have a 2 year old girl like that. So this past month I had a theme about insects and we made pompom ants, a styrofoam ball spider with googly eyes and pipecleaner legs, a pipecleaner/pompom grasshopper, and an egg carton insect - not sure what that one is really, haha. Anyway, I taught the children that bugs should live outside, not in the house so it's ok to squash them inside but to leave them alone outside. My little dcgirl is doing much better now that I taught her that bugs just do what bugs are supposed to do.......but outside!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    He is 3, his older sister was terrified of bugs and will still scream when one is on her. Dad said he would be over it in a year..... YIKES! I think I like everyone's idea of teaching him about bugs.