Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    Get lots of sand toys and sand trucks for the small ones, I never put kids on the swings as it just takes too much of my attention. Bring snacks like arrow root cookies to distract if needed. LoL

Your age group was mine last summer. The baby's had only one section of the park they could use so I sat right infront of that area. Most kids I find don't wander to far from you, especially if they know you have treats.

I always went super early to the park around 9am so it was never busy. If it was too busy we just went for a walk.
    Last edited by Skysue; 04-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Expansive...
    I try to go first thing in the morning or when no one else is there. By 10 am there are about 3 other daycares at the park and other parents and it becomes a disaster. I only go if we are alone there or with one other set of kids.

Also...in the summer we stick to our backyard more often. The grass is nice and dry and we don't lose time walking to and from the park and there is shade in the morning

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    They can ALL understand if you are consistant! I find it's the 16 -20 month olds who are the worst for trying to run off...so they end up going into the stroller repeatedly until the get it. I have a little guy who was in that stage last fall and spent a whole lot of time sitting in the stroller, followed by another chance...then he would try to toddle off again and back in the stroller he went. This year he hasn't tried to run off once. Now my new dcg who just turned 2 is the one who runs off...she hasn't been with me long enough to know that this is not okay. Probably her parents just follow her wherever she runs (as long as it isn't the road of course), so she thinks she gets to decide where she plays. So I have to watch her extra carefully to make sure she isn't starting to wander off. I do not allow anyone to be outside of the designated area. It might be harder for you now as you have allowed them before, but you can do it. Tell the three year old where the boundary lines are and tell her that if she crosses the line she will be sitting on the bench watching her friends play. She will learn fast. I think I would go totally stir crazy if we couldn't get out to play at the park when the weather is nice...especially after being couped up all winter. I have a yard that we use in the afternoons...but I like the variety the park offers.

I had one as well that spent 50% of the park visits in the stroller for insubordination!
    Running off just doesn't fit into my program. She listens now and is my biggest mole if anyone else steps out of line. Too funny!

Euphoric !
    I take my 5 dckids to parks, the library and splashpads, but rules are strictly enforced. I have the 2 smallest ones in a double stroller and the walkers are attached to my wrists by pony or puppy or monkey backpacks so they are safe when we are walking or waiting for the bus.

At the parks I have a double hand clap system. If I'm blowing bubbles and the wind is carrying them in 5 different directions and the children are getting too far away from me the double hand clap and my loud call for the children to come back to me are important. I'm constantly counting to 5. I don't take my eyes off them. I change diapers and we have potty time before we head out in the morning and as soon as we return. I don't want anything to disturb my counting to 5 nonstop, lol.

By the way, if any one of the children doesn't obey my double hand clap or instructions they have to sit in the stroller, so they learn they have a choice, follow my rules or miss out on the fun.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.