Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    yes I serve hot dogs ....all the kids do a little dance when I say its hot dogs for lunch ....half the time I wrap them in cresent rolls to make pigs in a blanket.....I don't feed wieners to the under 18month olds....I buy the all beef ones cause that's what I like best....however I rarely eat a hot dog. I serve mostly healthy foods but hotdogs are a little treat now and again. I don't feel bad cause they eat this stuff at home all the time.

Starting to feel at home...
    thanks ladies!! Love the replies!! I serve grilled cheese a lot too :S lol I didn't think it was that bad but the hotdogs just made me feel so guilty...I don't even want to write it on my menu board haha

apples and bananas
    I haven't served hot dogs. I like to think that I serve healthy alternatives and home make 99 % of what I serve. I would love to serve hot dogs, but I haven't really even thought about a healthy alternative.

I do serve grilled cheese. Nothing wrong with a grilled cheese using minimal butter, real cheese (not processes) and wholwheat bread. Add some cold veggies on the side and that's a well balanced meal that everyone's going to eat.

Outgoing
    I get the guilty feelings, the dcks aren't going to go home and tell mom and dad "we had organic turkey hot dogs and whole wheat buns with lots of fruit and veggies for lunch," they're going to say "we had hot dogs today" lol.

Like the others said, if it really is healthy (or a healthier version) and you can back it up to a parent if they ask, and it's an occasional thing, I don't think it's a big deal. If your families are anything like mine, I know they get it at home anyway.

Outgoing
    dont stress over it. every now and then we have a less than healthy lunch here too. Sometimes i'm too tired or I havent prepared for the week or may have run out cause its the end of the week. In any case even with a less than healthy item I balance it with healthy veggies or fruit and milk. I wouldnt beat yourself up about it. tomorrow is another day.

Euphoric !
    We have a coyboy and campfire theme once a year so I serve hot dogs one day that week. Also, if you cut the hot dogs into about 5 pieces and stick about 5-6 1/2 sticks of spaghetti through them then boil them they look like insects, but I made them one time when my theme was Robots so I told the kids they were robot parts. Every once in a while they dckids would request robot parts and I've had more than one parent ask me about that. It is possible to find organic, all natural, good hot dogs! Those are the kind I serve.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Oh yes, grilled chees sandwiches are definitely one of my quickie go-to lunches. Today we got back late from our outing to the library and I took 2 tortillas, spread a bit of spaghetti sauce on each side and used mozarella cheese and made pizza quesadillas really quickly. They were a big hit with pepper strips on he side. This is why I don't have a menu any more though, because I want the freedom to make these quickie lunches when it's necessary. As long as you provide great variety and all the food groups, don't worry.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I have never served hot dogs but do serve ham from time to time. I secretly love eating them too. As a family we might eat hot dogs say 4 times a year.

Bulony and cheese whiz have never ever entered my house. Yet I was brought up on the stuff. Cheese Whiz on celery yum yum! LoL

Ladies there are so many people starving in this world and we are beating our selves up for allowing our kids some variety. How blessed are we!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well I don't think I need to "back" anything up to my parents.... They all trust that their children are well fed and well cared for... And if I give them them a hot dog once a month ... Who cares ??? Really !!!! Summer is coming and therefore BBQ season and hotdogs and hamburgers are the main stay .... I love bbq'd hot dogs and not embarrassed to say it. I'm not sure why people need to secretly say they like hot dogs. I wouldn't eat them everyday but I do think that most parents give their kids hot dogs so why would it make a difference if they ate them at daycare ?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    My favourite is wieners and beans, great comfort food!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post: