Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Hotdogs- do you ever serve them!?

Okay, so I am feeling really guilty about todays lunch!! We don't ever eat hotdogs as a family (or pork for that matter) and I have never served them in my daycare before...but I saw that they now have chicken all natural hotdogs out so I thought I would give them a try. I feel so awful serving that to the kids though, even though I know 1/2 of them get hotdogs multiple times a week at home! The parents don't even read my menu or ask what they have eaten all day...I even write everyday on my white board what we had and none of them read it!
    Does/has anyone served hotdogs before? I don't know why I am beating myself up so bad about it but I know it wasn't the most healthy choice

Euphoric !
    Don't beat yourself up if it is a rare event! I have never served hot dogs, but have served tofu hot dogs with whole wheat buns...the kids all loved them! I think anyway as long as it isn't a regular thing, it's fine!

Outgoing
    I have never served hotdogs, but I'll make a confession... I'm a health food nut with a secret weakness for the occasional junk food, and I love hotdogs! My daycare parents would be shocked if they knew this, so shhh....

Outgoing
    We had all beef hot dogs and cheddar cheese wrapped in Pilsbury Crescent rolls for lunch today. I don't feel guilty at all! I have tried homemade food with this group and it ALL ends up in the garbage. They won't eat veggies (raw or cooked) so i feed them what I know they will eat. I am done wasting time and money.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

I once in a while serve hotdogs, grilled cheese, ham and cheese sandwich, etc. When I do so I use the all natural ham or sausage, whole wheat or whole grains breads, and served with a veggie soup or some raw veggies. Some of my parents read my menu and others do not. I personally believe that extremes aren't good. I serve super healthy food at my house, but kids should know that other foods are not forbidden (your know, forbidden later starts to become more desirable). I never serve sweets at home during the day, but my son always asks for cake or ice cream when in restaurants. He knows there is nothing wrong with having those foods too once in a while.

Euphoric !
    Yeah my dck are all picky. My 3 yo is now becoming picky (not sure if it is the dck's influence or just now that she is three). I haven't served hotdogs though but we did have grilled cheese today with fruit and veggies. My one dck wouldn't even eat grilled cheese! I am surprised his organ still pump as this kid lives on fruit and carbs and very little of them.

Euphoric !
    I use the Maple Leaf Top Dogs original because that is what I like - do not like the all beef ones. The favourite for my gang is having them wrapped in biscuit dough. I make the tea buscuit dough byself and add wheat germ and bran to it along with the white flour - hate whole wheat flour too cause it makes stuff so heavy so use white flour and add the bran and wheat germ back in for a much lighter more flavourful texture or at least I think so.

Maple Leaf makes an all natural hotdog according to the commercials on tv and sure some other companies probably do too. My daycare families are all ok with hotdogs so just buy the regular cause they are cheaper but for those more concerned you could try the natural ones.

I don't serve hot dogs. I'm not going to get all sanctimonious about anyone who does, though. I try very hard to serve up only healthy meals. It's my schtick. lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

I agree with Sandbox Sally. I love junk food!!!...but I don't eat it often, don't have it in the house because I will be tempted (I love salty stuff) so if it isn't here I can't/won't serve it to my dckids.

Outgoing
    I served organic turkey dogs last week for the first time and felt guilty also! the kids loved them tho