Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

What to do when you want to fill an open spot?

Hey everyone!

What is your line of action when you have an opening coming up but have had a bit of a dry spell-so have no waiting list to speak of? What do you do to fill your spots?

Thank you in advance!

Euphoric !
    Advertise!! Here on daycare bear and kijiji

Expansive...
    What are you putting as your catch line? I think when people see simply "Daycare space available" then they call. I have found through my own experience that when you put 2 spaces available then they are thinking "why"

Or if you put a time line like 2 Spaces available for Sept then people that might be looking to start in Oct won't call.

It also depends where your ad is, the best time to post a new ad or top up is Thursday night or Friday morning as most people reserve there search for weekends.

Have you looked closely at your direct competition have there ads been there a while too? How do your pictures compare to others etc..you need to have your pictures show a day in the life at "your" daycare!

Outgoing
    Skysue- I definitely need to update pics..

This morning when I was at OEYC with the kids I have a pre-interview with a mom that seemed very interested in my daycare. She already have a daycare center booked for June, but she is not convinced about her choice. She does not have to much knowledge about home daycare (in this area daycare centers and live-in nannies are the ones that are more in demand). She is coming this week for an interview.... On the other hand, a week ago I found a nanny I know in the park and she was with another nanny that I have not seen before. The nanny I have not meet before told me that she will be leaving in September. She told me she will tell the family about my daycare when she resigns... Some weeks ago a nanny that I know asked my number because she knew somebody that will be needing childcare... I think knowing your community and networking could be of good help to find potential clients...

Euphoric !
    For sure with the nice weather be out and about going for walks and passing by parks where families are playing. Have business cards with your info or at least type the info on a piece of paper ready to pass out to interested people you meet. An ideal family is a mom out taking her baby for a walk too. As you pass stop and say hello, introduce yourself as a caregiver in the area and then offer one of your info cards should the mom be looking for daycare.

I made a sign and posted it on the back of my wagon when we first moved to the area and then every day just went out and walked - as slowly as I could so people had time to read,lol. and the last line of the sign said stop me and ask for info and a few people actually did. Of course at that point I only had my own kids in the wagon but gradually it was one dck then two, etc. till I was full but it was a great way to spend the summer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I made a sign and posted it on the back of my wagon when we first moved to the area.
    That is a great idea Playfelt! I do not have a wagon, but have strollers. I just have to find a way to put a sign in my stroller to make it visible

apples and bananas
    Have you tried advertising for drop in care for stay at home moms or filling in for other providers vacation time. You could try to contact other providers in the area and get them to refer clients to you that they don't have space for.

I find as soon as I post on kijiji and this site I get immediate responses. But that may just be my area.

I keep a good slush fund every week so if I have a dry spell like this I can take a few slow weeks until it picks up again and still be ok financially.

Summer is tough, it will pick up in September.