Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

To hold a spot or not hold a spot

I have an opening that has been available for over a month. The only emails i have recieved have been for the fall or people asking how much and never hearing from them again when i inform them that i discuss rates in a phone or personal interview. Other than that the well seems pretty dry in my area. Ideally I would like the spot filled right away but i decided to interview with a family for a september placement. She is a teacher and doesnt need summer care so i adjusted the rate to cover some of the loss of income. Very nice family, lovely little guy but if they decide they want the spot it means holding the space for months. I did not put in place aholding fee, i didnt feel comfortable with it. I really needed the income asap as my daughter is off to university in the fall so cash is needed. however if i wait it out, i may lose anyone who is looking for september. I think that the family will agree to a day or two a week starting in August possibly. any thoughts?

apples and bananas
    I would maybe suggest disclosing your fees over the phone or email. Unless you are running way higher then your area. If someone told me that they discuss fees in person I may skip them too because if they are higher then area average it would be a wasste of my time. Just my feelings on it. But you really have to consider why you're keeping your rates such a secret.

As for the hold... I don't like to take holding fees because if the client doesn't work out they've dropped all this money into holding a space. I would feel obligated to keep them.

I may try to convince the client that you are filling a space immediatly and you could offer a part time space through the summer turning into full time in sept.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have to agree with Apples and Bananas. Personally, I have my rates posted right on my website for parents to see before they contact me. I don't want to waste MY time with clients who are looking for something cheaper (my rates are at the top for my area). I might be put off as a parent too if you told me you could only discuss rates in person or over the phone. The reason I have a website is that it gives parents a good idea of what I offer and then they are more willing to consider paying the higher rate if they like what they see.
    As for holding the spot...that is a tough one. I know September is a more popular month...summer tends to be a bit harder to fill for as people take vacations etc. But, that is quite awhile to go without income as well...it's a gamble! Maybe you could tell them that you will hold it, but if someone else comes along and wants the space sooner, you will give them the chance to take it then? Not sure...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    While it won't earn you any extra money you could ask for the first two and last two weeks of care to be paid now on signing making it clear that the money is non refundable should they not start care. I have also had some put a time in there that they can't leave care and use the money unless they stay in care the same number of months that you held the spot. ie if you are holding the spot for 4 months and they start in Sept but want to leave in 3 months they wouldn't get their 2 weeks back as it can only be applied to the last two weeks of care after 4 months. Then in Sept start charging them from the day they start so they are always paying two weeks in advance.

We are already getting into May and summer will be here before you know it. What if you compromised and made the start date August for the family. A lot of teachers need to be in the classroom for the last week anyways for meetings and to set up. That gaives the child time to get settled. Even if you offered a 3 day a week it works for both of you. You get some money, child gets to integrate and mom gets a few days to do all the things she didn't get done ready for the new school year. And means you are only 3 months without income which is still a lot but less than 4.

Outgoing
    The main reason I dont do fees in an email right off the bat is because I find that the first and only question coming from them in the first contact email is "what are your rates" . I generally respond first by asking more questions about what theyre needs are with respect to hours or if they need full time or part time etc. My full time rate is different than part time. I explain that this information is needed to properly quote them a daily rate and that I would prefer to disuss it over the phone or in person.
    I see what your saying about what the perception might be though.

apples and bananas
    I completely understand that. And most business's will do the same, when quoting a price they need to be accurate and need information before they can continue.

However, our business is a bit different.

I would assume everyone is looking for full time and quote them based on that. Part of the appeal of our business is being competitive. I have a huge long email response that I send out when I'm asked for pricing. It includes my prices, but it also backs them up. It explains our day, what the children are expected to learn, my fenced in yard, my main floor bathroom and seperate craft room etc. I lay it all out in the first email.

If I don't hear back, I follow up in a few days with a simple, "let me know if you have any questions"

The first contact is a great opportunity to sell ourselves and our business. And even if the client is asking the simple question "what are your fees" It's a great opportunity to answer questions they don't even have yet.

Outgoing
    great points Apples. I guess I just like the personal aspect of speaking with someone to sell myself and boast about what sets me apart from others. I suppose people are too busy for the personal touches. It never used to be that way, I rarely got emails, it was always a phone call. I will try the advice you've all given and create a standard reply that covers all the things that I consider to be my selling points and just tweak it based on each inquiry.

Euphoric !
    When rates vary in a neighbourhood it makes sense that what is the price is one of the first questions. Parents go on the assumption that other things are equal. It is when they start the actual interview process that they realize there are just as many ways of doing things as there are caregivers. With anything we do we start to group things and whether we like it or not price sells - any business knows that. So starting with the lowest range of caregivers for interviews makes sense to parents and then moving up the groupings till they find what they want. When you shop for a house you set a price range and no matter how wonderful that house at a few thousand more is you have to content yourself with what is in your price range in most cases. I know a child isn't a house but you wouldn't pay more for a car at one place when a perfectly respectable dealership next door had the same car for cheaper either.