Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Anyone who doesn't do outings?!

Hi ladies, I am curious if there are any other providers that don't do any outings- be it park, library, drop in, beach, etc. Anyone else just stay put?

I am feeling kind of guilty that I can't get out for these types of outings. I did buy the choo choo wagon and we do little nature walks from time to time but for the most part we are just here. I know a few providers that do library and drop in weekly and although I would love to have something to break up the week, it just isn't possible. I have a larger group because my own 2 little ones are with me as well and I don't drive as my husband takes out only vehicle.

Maybe I am just feeling guilty because I was off last summer with my two on mat leave and we lived at the park/beach! I also feel bad that my children are missing out on all the fun things we used to do like library group, music class and drop in.

Euphoric !
    I'm with you. I only do the library/park on days when my group is smaller as I have 2 of my own. We used to go to the school playground after picking up the 6 yo from school but since I had a new baby start this week that just doesn't make sense/feel safe to me anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't go out. And I don't feel bad about it. My dcp actually like that about me. We have lots to do here, backyard with all the toys we could want so we stay put...I don't thin i will even go to the park this year as I have 4 under 2 years old and I just don't think I have enough eyes for that many toddlers. But like I said lots of parents prefer that as its just safer.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I do not do outings and make that very clear to parents at interviews. Many choose me because of that. It means infants can have undisturbed morning naps as long as they need them. Our days are not wasted with travel time. We have a yard with things to do and a playroom that rivals most drop ins. Toddlers parallel or solo play anyways so there is no need to dump them in a room with 20 others.

For the same reasons I don't do school age either so once child starts JK they move on. If you have an older group they might actually appreciate some of the outings. Often it is the adult that wants to be out more than the kids do. They are quite content to stay at home.

There will be plenty of trips to the fire station and museum etc once kids are in school. Besides I feel these are things that a parent deserves to do with their child just as we did them with our own.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just wanted to add that my kids all prefer to stay at the DC in the backyard as well and I think it would be more for me if we ventured out.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you, I appreciate these responses! I think I put too much pressure on myself but partly because my almost 3 year old is a handful most days that I feel like maybe I am not doing a good job! I have three 1 year olds and 2-3 two year olds (depending on day) and just don't feel comfortable taking them all out just to say I did! I think I will call grandma to come take my son to the park once a week this summer lol thanks ladies!

My outting happens once a month, and we have outdoor time, but no I do not do outtings on a regular basis.

apples and bananas
    I don't go out. I might venture to the park on a day I have 2 or less. But I honestly just prefer to stay home. I live on a farm so we go for "walks" daily, but it's on our property. There are tons of things to do here.

Expansive...
    I don't go on outings per se. If it is nice out I load everyone into the wagon and we go for a walk every morning. Other than my oldest daughter who is 3, the rest of my crew is less than 16 month. Dd walks for exercise and the rest love going for a wagon ride. We don't go anywhere in particular and and they stay in the wagon. I let the little ones loose in the yard after nap so they get to run/crawl around! The walk keeps me from getting cabin fever even though I am still on my own. I don't think the kids are missing out on anything.

I don't go on outings all the time. We will go to the playground, or walk around the neighbourhood, but not out to museums or kindergym or anything. I do this occasionally, if I only have 2 or 3 kids on certain days, but since we moved to the suburbs and I have to drive everywhere, it is a real challenge, and something that I am less comfortable doing than when we lived in the city and everything was within a 5 min walk.

I don't think it's necessary. I do think it's necessary to get out every day, but I don't think you have to leave your yard for the kids to be educated and for them to have fun.