Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Two of the same toy?

SORRY! Another question!!

I find that sometimes sharing is hard (understandably) and my Little People sets (farm, pirate ship, etc) that I rotate once a month are very popular. If I find another set second hand, should I purchase it and have two of the same sets out at a time? Or is that just silly?

Euphoric !
    Why can't more than one set be out at a time. At the toddler stage they play more alone than together so each child needs a set. Just put the set and a small dish of the pieces along a wall or on a table or bench and let them move from set to set. It isn't our place to tell kids this week you will be interested in farming, next week you will be interested in space, the week after you will be thrilled by dinosaurs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Exactly what Playfelt said! I have several Little People vehicles, several sets such as barns, castle, etc and I have enough ride-ons for one each, four doll strollers as they are hot items, two play kitchens side by side...etc. I do not have clones of toys, but several of the same type so that if one is playing with the airplane, another can have the bus and another the firetruck etc and then I teach them to take turns.

That is a good point...I just like to rotate toys once a month to keep things interesting as before when I found I had so much out they didn't play with it.

What toys do you rotate? Perhaps I could rotate a different item and leave the little people sets out all the time?

Euphoric !
    I don't rotate at all really. My storage shelves are actually on the wall above where they play and we can switch out what is on the play level as desired but something goes back. Things like blocks, trucks, cars, animals, barn, etc stay out all the time because they appeal to the widest age groups. Toddlers don't get castle and just stuff animals and cars in it so it is up and comes down if an older child asks for it. That way the castle figures are available when needed.

The things I do rotate are more the infant/toddler things such as having several types of stacking toys or sorting toys but only having two down on the play level. Again if they all seem to want to do that activity it is easy to reach up and get another one or to switch out a toy that no one has touched in awhile or I can set out the toys that meet the goal I want to teach such as pushing buttons, or turning a knob.

Check out the pictures on my website to see what I mean - this has worked great for us. The shelving is from home depot. The upper shelves are 12 or 16 inches and the bottom shelf is 24" deep and makes a great play surface. www.sharonshomedaycare.yolasite.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My daycare children have freeplay first thing in the morning while I make breakfast, then again while I make lunch, then again at the end of the day. We are outside all morning and stay inside 1 morning a week for crafting/learning. If we have a rainy week I plan another craft and lesson plan but otherwise it's freeplay all the way except for circle time or when we play games like ring around the rosie, green light red light, etc.

Daycarelady, I wouldn't buy 2 sets of toys because they have to learn sharing and taking turns and they have to learn that if somebody is already using something they can find another toy until that one is free. It's important that children don't have anything they want exactly when they demand it at all times, it's a good lesson for them.

I used to rotate the toys a lot more often, but now they are happy with the same toys every day all the time and never have a problem not finding something to do. Mind you, I have way too many toys in here, but it's working.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am like Momof4 in that I don't rotate that much. I will put things away that I see nobody has been playing with and then when I take it out again they may be more interested. Otherwise, we pretty much have all the toys out at once. Puzzles and other learning toys that have small pieces are on the shelf and brought out on demand or at certain times when I can supervise...same with felt pieces etc. We do art time about 4 times a week in winter and maybe once a week in summer as we all just want to be outside. Freeplay is a great time to teach them the really important social skills they need to learn like turn taking, working together etc and it is a good time to watch and help out with these things when problems arise.

thanks so much everyone for helping me to become a better provider! I don't know what I would do without all of your helping me wade through these waters!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaycareLady For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think we are all still learning from each other, no matter how far along the path we are...at least I know I sure am! I have learned soooooooooooo much from all the wonderful providers on this site I think that's what makes the difference between those of us who strive to be the best we can be and those who are content to just maintain the status quo. Continual learning is a must in this business as far as I'm concerned. That first year is the hardest for sure...you will get it sorted out and things will get easier soon Especially once you get them free playing instead of being the entertainer all day

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have 3 cameras. 2 of them are the same and the one is different, they don't like that one. I don't blame them its not that good. I have 2 tea sets. They are the same idea but different in type. Now I do own 4 ipods all the same but they all have different cases on them so I can tell which one belongs to which one of my kids